The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   saddlebred, anyone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/saddlebred-anyone-147528/)

noddy 12-23-2012 03:52 PM

saddlebred, anyone?

Browsing about trademe, and I happened to notice a couple of 3yos by this guy.

Denmarks Platinum Playboy Saddlebred

I've seen a few articles in H&P about him, just because it's an uncommon breed (again, here, not worldwide), and of course he's cremello. From what I've been able to find, he's been crossed mainly over Arabs and TBs here, and they seem to be quite nice. But is the stallion himself really that good, or is it just the colour.

Smokey Black Rising 3yr Filly | Trade Me
- One of his, for sale currently. She certainly got his giant head. :P

BUT, if I recall, isn't a Saddlebred one of those freakishly tall gaited showpony breeds? Not exactly what I'd expect to be seeing in NZ, least of all being marketed as a dressage sire. I mean, if he's got a goods, then good for him, but it's a Saddlebred... Whatever that is.

It seems every year I go to the CSP, there's another half dozen dilutes thrown in there (we even have a dilute Gypsy Vanner). So, breed knowledgables, how does this guy stack up in terms of conformation, pedigree and results? Is he worth breeding to, or should I start fundraising for an NZ gelding bus? They do say a lot about him on their website, but.. without knowing what the breed's supposed to be like, it's hard to figure out things like this, and I've certainly never seen a Saddlebred before (plan on it though, I'm aiming to get to the CSP in '13 after missing it 3 years straight, hopefully he'll be there again so I can drool over his dapples).

-- One last thing, "grade" horses don't have as much of a stigma in NZ. The average horse owner, even jumpers or eventers, don't fork out the megabucks for a warmblood. It's usually a TB or something crossbred. A horse being half Saddlebred here is not considered a bad thing by most people, provided the poor baby hasn't tripped over the ugly rake (and even then, someone will probably still buy it just because it's a dilute).

Also, I've been looking at horses for my mother, who currently wants something with brain cells. At least that's what she said after she rode Gray, and going by the info on the website, a Saddlebred cross sounds like it might be suitable. Cue the "every horse is individual" speech...

Cacowgirl 12-23-2012 05:02 PM

I think she's a nice looking horse & from what you say about your market a good price. Can't hurt to call, right?

Inga 12-23-2012 06:28 PM

2011 Kentucky State Fair World's Championship Horse Show - USEF Network

As a Saddlebred person for over 35 years... That horse doesn't impress me in the least. That said, if your thinking trail horse, there is nothing wrong with her assuming she is sound. A Saddlebred can be an amazing trail, pleasure horse and are usually really kind and forgiving, affectionate horses. Now for the speach.... Every horse is an individual so you would have to judge this horse for how she is personally. :) Good Luck.

noddy 12-23-2012 08:43 PM

Heh, I'm not really wanting opinions on the filly as my mother is looking for something ready to ride, that was more of a note of considering one of this guy's progeny if an older one comes up.

I was actually just being curious about the breed, and specifically the stallion. It seems sometimes that people import these stallions to NZ and fudge a few facts to make them seem like the best of the best (in other words, they lie because no one is likely to know enough to call them on it). There's another stallion down south, a Paso Fino, that they just go on and on about him winning some shows in the US before he was imported, as if he'd freaking won Crufts or something. I was wondering if this stallion is as good as they tell us, if the breeder is being truthful and curious on how he stands up compared to other Saddlebreds.

LadyDreamer 12-24-2012 01:38 AM

Wow, very line bred. I wonder if it was intentional.

Here is a great thread containing lots of great info on the breed.
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-bree...lebred-126479/
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 12-24-2012 04:44 AM

Not a fan of him either. It seems they are mostly doing "sport horse' breeding, not for park horses. Like LadyDreamer said "very linebred" Not the best example of the breed by far. He is certainly not the worst either. If he were mine he would be a gelding but my standard is very very high when it comes to breeding horses. I think about 90% of all stallions should be gelded, maybe even more.

Again, if your mother is just wanting a pretty horse to ride on the trails etc... There are much worse options out there. Saddlebreds tend to be rather sure footed, gentle and people oriented. I guess it all depends on what choices you have there.

LadyDreamer 12-24-2012 12:31 PM

Now, is it the color that throws you off a lot Inga? He isn't too terribly built, conformation wise. He lacks a lot of substance, but that could just be age. He isn't built to be a Show Horse, definitely, his neck doesn't sit on him as well as it needs, and his shoulders are a little odd, but from my inexperienced-with-sport-horses eye, doesn't look terrible. I am not a big fan of color with my Saddlebreds. I would kill for a quality buckskin, but quality individuals are few and far between. The bright horses that stand out the most have to be a great deal better than your dark horses in the competition. It seems like you have a few token great grays and spotted horses, but not many.
Posted via Mobile Device

Inga 12-24-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyDreamer (Post 1812832)
Now, is it the color that throws you off a lot Inga? He isn't too terribly built, conformation wise. He lacks a lot of substance, but that could just be age. He isn't built to be a Show Horse, definitely, his neck doesn't sit on him as well as it needs, and his shoulders are a little odd, but from my inexperienced-with-sport-horses eye, doesn't look terrible. I am not a big fan of color with my Saddlebreds. I would kill for a quality buckskin, but quality individuals are few and far between. The bright horses that stand out the most have to be a great deal better than your dark horses in the competition. It seems like you have a few token great grays and spotted horses, but not many.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keep in mind that when I look at a Saddlebred, I compare it to the breed standard. I see park horses all the time so when looking at a Saddlebred being used soley as a Sport horse I am not as drawn to it. It is true that I do NOT like his color but that isn't the only thing.

This IS the right horse, yes?
http://www.equinetrader.co.nz/resour...--trot-050.jpg

What is it you want with him? You want a foal out of him? Who is the mare, what does she look like? What does the individual look like? In that picture, he looks to be incredibly tight in his front end. You might get a buckskin out of him too, which you like. I love buckskin also, but would never get color without being on a fairly well put together individual. He isn't horrible, no. I have just seen far better.

EmilyJoy 12-24-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noddy (Post 1811891)
Browsing about trademe, and I happened to notice a couple of 3yos by this guy.

Denmarks Platinum Playboy Saddlebred

I've seen a few articles in H&P about him, just because it's an uncommon breed (again, here, not worldwide), and of course he's cremello. From what I've been able to find, he's been crossed mainly over Arabs and TBs here, and they seem to be quite nice. But is the stallion himself really that good, or is it just the colour.

Smokey Black Rising 3yr Filly | Trade Me
- One of his, for sale currently. She certainly got his giant head. :P

BUT, if I recall, isn't a Saddlebred one of those freakishly tall gaited showpony breeds? Not exactly what I'd expect to be seeing in NZ, least of all being marketed as a dressage sire. I mean, if he's got a goods, then good for him, but it's a Saddlebred... Whatever that is.

It seems every year I go to the CSP, there's another half dozen dilutes thrown in there (we even have a dilute Gypsy Vanner). So, breed knowledgables, how does this guy stack up in terms of conformation, pedigree and results? Is he worth breeding to, or should I start fundraising for an NZ gelding bus? They do say a lot about him on their website, but.. without knowing what the breed's supposed to be like, it's hard to figure out things like this, and I've certainly never seen a Saddlebred before (plan on it though, I'm aiming to get to the CSP in '13 after missing it 3 years straight, hopefully he'll be there again so I can drool over his dapples).

-- One last thing, "grade" horses don't have as much of a stigma in NZ. The average horse owner, even jumpers or eventers, don't fork out the megabucks for a warmblood. It's usually a TB or something crossbred. A horse being half Saddlebred here is not considered a bad thing by most people, provided the poor baby hasn't tripped over the ugly rake (and even then, someone will probably still buy it just because it's a dilute).

Also, I've been looking at horses for my mother, who currently wants something with brain cells. At least that's what she said after she rode Gray, and going by the info on the website, a Saddlebred cross sounds like it might be suitable. Cue the "every horse is individual" speech...

In my opinion a good looking Saddlebred is "KALARAMA COLONEL" one of the stallions ancestors... "shrugs" that's what I'd take anyway... :-)

noddy 12-28-2012 03:53 AM

Yet again, I'm NOT looking to breed to this stallion. My mother is considering buying one of his progeny (IF an older one comes up for sale, not the filly linked above) as a trail horse (needs to have a fair amount of brains and able to handle some pretty rough terrain). Basically, I'm more after some info on the breed because we don't know Saddlebreds, and to my knowledge this is the first stallion in the country. Yes, she'd like something with colour (palominos and appaloosas are her favourite), and the most common average horse around here are Stationbreds and Kaimanawas, both of which are quite chunky and not my mother's preference. TB and Arab crosses are mostly out of the question if they're hot (we've gone to test ride a few, and one of them was quiet enough but again not what she'd prefer).

From basic research, Saddlebreds sounds like level headed guys, very friendly and good trail horses, but again that's only from basic research. Asking people who may know more about them is the most obvious next step. The horse we end up with will not be bred (at least not by us), and it won't be shown so we're happy to sacrifice some conformational prettiness for a pretty colour as long as the horse is happy and sound.

-- Yes, that photo is him but I believe it's from H&P when they did an article not long after he arrived. I believe he was around 4 at the time (not sure how Saddlebreds mature compared to age, but it may effect him a little).

-- The gelding bus comment was more in context of if he's not worth breeding to, then his progeny may not be worth much. Myself and my mother can be fickle at times, and of course we never know if something might happen, so we like to consider how easy it may be to sell a horse on in that case.