The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Confidence Issues After Bad Fall. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/confidence-issues-after-bad-fall-147562/)

Shadow Puppet 12-23-2012 11:18 PM

Confidence Issues After Bad Fall.

Last week I had a pretty bad fall off my horse, my left foot got caught in my stirrup and then flipped over the saddle to the right side and I was dragged a few meters. I wasn't hurt to badly, but my confidence suffered a major blow. I feel like a wimp being afraid that it will happen again. I found myself shaking today when I even thought about riding. Someone at my barn told me to sing to get rid of the nerves but are there are any other solutions to help heal the beating that my confidence took. I have fallen off many times before but have never ever been scared like this before. Any tips would be great I am not used to being scared and would like to chase it off before it decides to stick around. Thanks. :)

Luvs JRT 12-23-2012 11:56 PM

I can't help you here as I'm struggling with the same fears! I have come off probably over 12 times in this last year, but this fall 3 weeks ago was significantly bad and I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. I'm still not able to ride for another couple of months - but what I do keep try focusing in on is my very last lesson. It was simply amazing! And it happened just 4 days before this major fall. As well I'm focusing on making it less painful then this past time. I always ride with a helmet but now I'm purchasing a hit air vest - and as soon as I made that committment to my hubby in the hospital I already felt better about getting back on.

But I have to say my friend who also has a young green baby, I watched them today and her horse just threw a very small hiccup kick out. One before that I would have laughed at watching and sitting through. But this time my throat dropped into my stomach.. so obviously I'm not over it yet.

Good luck and let us know what you find out that works for you!

EvilHorseOfDoom 12-24-2012 12:09 AM

Happens to all of us so don't fret! All I can say is, get back on and learn how to fall well. If you can fall well, it gives you a world of confidence. Drop, flop, roll. Don't stick arms out (good way to break a wrist), allow the roll to carry your movement so your neck/back is safe. I'm always surprised that stuff like this isn't taught along with "don't wander round behind a horse" - there seems to be too little focus on teaching what to do when things go wrong in most circles.

ETA: Learn to fall while not riding first. Fall onto cushions, allow your body to build muscle memory so that it automatically does what it's supposed to when you do fall off for real.
Posted via Mobile Device

EquineGirl1965 12-24-2012 01:01 AM

Being dragged is one of my worst fears about falling from a horse. I ride in a half-breed saddle which has ox-bows so my feet naturally just slide right out of them when I come off. I wish I could help with overcoming the fear; I'm pretty relaxed in my attitude as I know falling is part of riding (it's a risk, anyway) but my sister has had a couple of falls and the last one (even though it wasn't bad) has stopped her from wanting to ride. Her horse just stays in the paddock going to waste unless I ride him. But she doesn't like me taking him out of the paddock either.

bsms 12-24-2012 01:25 AM

Might be time to work on falling off less. Maybe change your tack, maybe change your style, or maybe change the risks you are willing to take. If you are falling off a lot, then sooner or later you will be hurt bad. Riding is fun, but it is dangerous enough to take it serious. It is time to figure out what you're doing wrong.

tinyliny 12-24-2012 01:36 AM

I don't have any advice . That thing is one of my worst fears; having my feet get stuck and being dragged. So, if this fall landed you in the hospital for 5 days, then to think you can just shrug it right off and get back in the saddle is maybe a bit unrealistic

Shadow Puppet 12-24-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

learn how to fall well. If you can fall well, it gives you a world of confidence. Drop, flop, roll. Don't stick arms out (good way to break a wrist), allow the roll to carry your movement so your neck/back is safe. I'm always surprised that stuff like this isn't taught along with "don't wander round behind a horse" - there seems to be too little focus on teaching what to do when things go wrong in most circles.
I used to be a competitive gymnast so actually I do know how to fall :P Never broken a bone falling off!

Celeste 12-24-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsms (Post 1812397)
Might be time to work on falling off less.

I think that this is an excellent suggestion. As far as the fear of being dragged, why use stirrups that you can get hung up in? Try these.

EZ Ride Nylon Caged Stirrups

pony gal 12-24-2012 09:48 PM

If the horse threw you, do more ground work with it or see if someone else with more riding experience will ride it. If there's a horse you can ride that's safer, ride it for awhile until you get your confidence back. Also, have someone lead you for awhile and just walk until you get comfortable being back on. Glad you didn't get hurt, some of us haven't been that fortunate.

littrella 12-25-2012 09:41 AM

Just start slow, go back to slow, quite arena work. If you have a friend or trainer that will help you, do some lunge line exercises. Go back to where you are comfortable & build back up from there