The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ulcers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ulcers-147631/)

Jumper4ever 12-24-2012 07:58 PM

Ulcers

one of my mares behavior points to ulcers or severe stomach acid, but we would like to avoid scoping and medication while we can and see if we can fix this another way. Does anyone know of any diets or homeopathic remedies for a horse with ulcers or severe stomach acid. Any help with this would be great. thanks!

Left Hand Percherons 12-24-2012 09:32 PM

The biggest thing you can do for her is just keep hay in front of her 24/7. The Ca in alfalfa will buffer stomach acid so small snacks will be like chewing on antacids throughout the day. Do not let her go more than 8 hours without eating. Reduce stress and concentrates too if possible.

Jumper4ever 12-24-2012 11:42 PM

i forgot to add that she does have 24/7 access to a large grass paddock and hay. She's currently on a quart of hay stretcher(dry) a feeding am and pm as well as a half cup of sunshine am and pm

Canterklutz 12-25-2012 01:39 AM

No homeopathic remedy will help with ulcers. You can feed small meals thorought the day but it is only a preventative. Once she is showing signs of stomach pain it is too late.

Get the horse on Omeprazole or Gastrogard otherwise she may colic.

walkinthewalk 12-25-2012 01:26 PM

A lot of people swear by pure Aloe Vera Juice (from a reputable health food store) but three gallons worth never did a thing to help my Arab. I ended up spending $150 for 30 days worth of Omeprazole:shock:

You can try Ranitidine and see if it works. WalMart's brand, "Extra Strength" - 150 mg per tablet.

My Arab is 13.3H and about 840 lbs. He gets 20 tablets daily, crushed up and mixed into his supplements. Supplements also include alfalfa pellets.

He doesn't need ulcer help when the grass is full of nutrients (the same full of nutrients that will founder my other two horses with metabolic issues:-|

This time of year, generally until Spring grass, I will feed him some type of meds for ulcers.

I mention the Ranitidine because it's a non-prescription way to see if gastric ulcers are really the issue; if they are and they aren't severe, the Ranitidine should help.

My Arab is a long 26 so I have also recently put him on "Daily Start" by Equishine; a pre-probiotic. Even though there are pre-probiotics in his Triple Crown SR., it isn't enough. You might consider adding a quality pre-probiotic to help the digestive process:D

Hope this helps and good luck:D

6W Ranch 12-25-2012 04:59 PM

Google Mastic gum & ulcers. It def. helps & eliminates ulcers. It provides relief quickly. I know of several race horse trainers that have used mastic gum to get rid of ulcers/h-pylori bacteria. Probably the best way to administer is ground/poder in a wormer tube.

If the problem is acidosis vs. an ulcer, eliminate any sugar/processed feed. Surgery, overly processed feeds increase acid production. This is one reason we feed oats that we crimp, and good quality hay, along with plenty of pasture.