The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Pretty sure I sprained my ankle >< (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/pretty-sure-i-sprained-my-ankle-147654/)

Janna 12-25-2012 10:05 AM

Pretty sure I sprained my ankle ><

What's good to do to help heal a sprained ankle?
Didn't go to the doctor cause I just don't bother unless its something really bad.

I stepped wrong and rolled my foot sideways and it popped really loud.
For about 5 mins if I stepped on it it just wouldn't work. Now can walk though but is swollen and hurts to move or touch certain ways. Taking my boot off it feels like it comes out of place. And if I move it, it Kinda cracks a little.

Cacowgirl 12-25-2012 10:10 AM

Ice it, elevate it, maybe an ankle support or wrap w/an Ace bandage. Stay off it as much as possible for a.while

Janna 12-25-2012 10:11 AM

Alright I'll wrap it. Bout to go to bed so ill get some extra pillows and put it up.

PaintHorseMares 12-25-2012 10:12 AM

RICE.. Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation...and Tylenol or Ibuprofen.
Posted via Mobile Device

strawberry paint 12-25-2012 12:32 PM

If the pain and swelling does not go down in couple of days....go to the doctor and have it checked out. The crackling would concern me... it would mean a fracture because the bone ends are rubbing together.
As a medic I would be treating it as a broken for fractured ankle. Simple to the fact that you said you heard it popped and now it's crackling.
To me...it's more serious than a sprain....but..like I said....
go to the doctor and have it checked out if the pain and swelling is not going down or getting worse.

nvr2many 12-25-2012 12:44 PM

Don't know about the cracking but sounds like you rolled it. I am the queen of rolling your ankle. I seem to be able to do it bare foot even. I agree with SP that the cracking does not sound good and if the ice and elevation do not help get to the Dr.
Merry Christmas, sorry you hurt yourself.

HorseLovinLady 12-25-2012 09:25 PM

What PaintHorseMares said, also if the pain lingers i'd get it checked out to make sure it's not trying to dislocate. I broke and dislocated my ankle last year and a couple days before I broke it I could feel it trying to pop out of joint then. I hope you feel better soon!

Janna 12-26-2012 02:18 AM

Well it doesn't hurt to walk at a normal speed but any faster or anything that requires extra bending hurts.

Touching still hurts. Mom said it looks slightly swollen still.
Still does that weird pop thing like it comes out of place when I take my boot off o.o. And it hurts bad when it does that.

PaintHorseMares 12-26-2012 04:57 AM

If you wear pull on type boots, do your ankle a favor and switch to lace up boots until the swelling goes down, and don't be surprised if it takes a couple weeks or more to heal up. Of course, if you have any doubts, visit urgent care and have it x-rayed.
Good luck and happy holidays.

Iseul 12-26-2012 08:07 AM

I did the same thing last spring stepping off the running boards of the trailer. ;;
I can feel small bone chips in it now (I obviously broke something) and was too stubborn to go to the doctor. I fell right to my knees when it rolled, popped loud enough for someone at the truck to here, and rolled onto my butt and grabbed my leg almost in tears.

If I wouldve done it yesterday (thinking back now), Id be going to get xrays and mris. Every now and then my foot'll get fuzzy/prickly and my ankle pops more..along with the fact that its more likely to roll again now, and Ive experienced that, thankfully not to the original extent though.
Posted via Mobile Device