The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Mapping/GPS Trails (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/mapping-gps-trails-147676/)

Iseul 12-25-2012 05:30 PM

Mapping/GPS Trails

Soo..I just downloaded an app that will apparently track my trail ride with miles and show me an actual map. Im soo excited to go out to the barn tomorrow! I probably wont be taking no 5 hour trail ride, but Im still excited to try this app out.

Does anyone else use their phone/something to track and map their trail rides?
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 12-25-2012 06:03 PM

I use my Garmin Etrex. I upload the data to MapSource and then view the maps in Google Earth. It keeps me entertained.

Most of my rides are fairly short (3 - 5 miles).

Dustbunny 12-25-2012 06:10 PM

Okay...I am a complete "maroon" when it comes to GPS and smart phones (I still have a stupid phone). Will the GPS still work if you are in an area without a signal? The GPS part must pick up from a satellite, right? How else could it track your course?
I am such a dinosaur...

Celeste 12-25-2012 06:12 PM

Mine picks it up pretty well most of the places that I ride. If you are doing extreme canyon riding in Utah, you may be out of luck. The GPS device is not dependent on phone towers to work or I would be totally out of luck.

Iseul 12-25-2012 06:15 PM

Well, apparently this app'll work regardless of cell or data signal..not sure if thats true though, lol.

I start out with about 2 miles just from the barn to the trails (and back, 1 mile each way), so Ill have to see what trails I even have access to at this time of year (too steep/slippery) to see how many miles of trails I can ride.
Id like to do some 50 mile rides come summer again though. Im gonna see if I can find the state park trail maps online so I can do some new trails as well when we can trailer again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Painted Horse 12-25-2012 06:33 PM

I've used a couple of different programs, Everytrail works well, allows me to post photos along the trail. ( it uses the GPS coordinates that my iPhone embeds in the photos)

Here is an example of a ride a couple of weeks ago in Zion National Park
Zions Kolob Arch - Horseback Riding trip | EveryTrail

QOS 12-25-2012 06:41 PM

the only problem with using the phone app is it is a battery hog!

I use a Garmin eTrex Venture HC to track miles and upload to EveryTrail. Way too much fun. I was hoping for a fancier Garmin for Christmas but I will have to keep the eTrex. :-P

jamesqf 12-25-2012 10:42 PM

GPS doesn't depend on having a cell phone signal. Lots of places I ride (hike, &c) don't have cell service, but GPS works ok. It just needs sight of a good slice of sky - trees are ok, but canyons may block too many of the satellites for a usable fix. (IIRC you need at least 3, and will get a position faster if you can see more.)

Now if your GPS is built into a smart phone, it may not work if there's no cell signal, but that is a design flaw in the phone, not anything inherent in the system. Good thing to check it before you head out too far.

PS: Just one thing to be aware of is that the maps on a GPS (or on-line) don't always reflect the reality of what's on the ground. Around here a lot of the dirt roads/trails aren't on maps, while other roads shown on the maps don't actually exist, or are several dozen yards from where the map says they should be.

Iseul 12-25-2012 10:48 PM

Im just looking to be able to track the miles I put on her solo, so not too worried about getting lost.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pattilou 12-26-2012 12:43 AM

Most GPS's can track your mileage and your speed. I use it for the NATRC rides to keep track on my speed to make sure I stay on time.

The Go Home button is my favorite, since I have sense of direction. In fact, if you ever ride with me and I say go this way, I would suggest you go the other way :lol::lol: