The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   SSG Glove Problems (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/ssg-glove-problems-147680/)

Woodland Eventer 12-25-2012 05:56 PM

SSG Glove Problems

Iíve been riding in the same pair of SSG All-Purpose Gloves(http://the-riders-touch.amazonwebstore.com/SSG-All-Purpose-Gloves/M/B0002DVE7S.htm) for years. I school in them, show in them, blaze the trails in them, and they have held up through thick and thin. They have finally begun to wear out in the fingers(causing my grip on the reins to be compromised at some points) and I decided to ask for a new pair for the holidays. I got them shipped from my Uncle, but when I opened them this morning they just didnít look rightÖ The elastic usually puckers the leather on the back of the hand, making them fit very well and look quite stylish as well. I planned to just use the new gloves for showing so they would keep looking nice. The elastic strips on the inside of the gloves are all stretched out and, therefore, are not doing their job. Iíve put both the gloves on and they donít fit well or look as nice as my other pair. We e-mailed the site from whence they came and explained the problem. Iím not sure they understand that itís just a problem with the elastic because they answered with the fact that the gloves have been coming in with wider cuffs than usual? They offered me my choice of a few different types of gloves, but I really love the All-Purpose. I donít want to get the same pair and have the same problem, but Iím not sure Iíll like any of the other gloves theyíve offered meÖ I can send mine in exchange for the SSG Classic(http://the-riders-touch.amazonwebstore.com/SSG-Classic-Gloves/M/B0002TA2L6.htm), SSG Pro Show(http://www.theriderstouch.com/store/product-info.php?pid108.html), or the SSG Soft Touch(http://www.theriderstouch.com/store/product-info.php?pid129.html).

I like the look of the Soft Touch, but Iím concerned that having a glove made entirely of that material may lead to some negatives. Iíve taken a few falls in my trusty old gloves and the palms(made of this same Reinlock material) have lost some of their grippy material. The leather backs show not a single scuff. Iím afraid that abrasions and scuffs will show badly on the Soft Touch gloves due to this.

The Pro Show gloves are very similar to the All Purpose pair I have now other than that they are all leather. Iíve ridden in a pair in the past and I liked them well enough at the time. I only fear that because they are thicker, I will lose some of my feel on the reins.

Iím not so keen on the Classics because of the tab enclosure being higher up on the glove. Iíve have problems with tabs on gloves getting stuck on the inside of my coat in the past and just making my wrist look bulky and unattractive under my show jacket.

Anyone have any opinions on any of the gloves Iíve listed? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

tinyliny 12-25-2012 06:44 PM

I used SSG for years but recently got a pair of Roekl gloves. They are THE best gloves I have ever worn. Like a second skin! well worth the money.

Roecklģ Chester Riding Glove | Dover Saddlery

Woodland Eventer 12-25-2012 07:00 PM

I've been offered a return on only the gloves mentioned in the first post. If I don't get the return on them, it will have been a total waste of money for my family member.

Alyssa 12-26-2012 09:33 PM

I am just getting back into riding after a 6 yr hiatus (grew up riding). anyway, I always had $6 cheapo SSG cloves that worked like a charm growing up. I purchased the all purpose SSG (around $20-25) as I always thought they were so pretty as a kid. Anyway, with a few months of riding i am noticing the stitching is coming lose at the seems, already producing a small hole. To me, it seems that SSG has probably gone the route of outsourcing productions resulting in lesser quality. It blows my mind how something that cost $6 in the late 90s held up better than the $20something pair today.

Woodland Eventer 12-29-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alyssa (Post 1815385)
I am just getting back into riding after a 6 yr hiatus (grew up riding). anyway, I always had $6 cheapo SSG cloves that worked like a charm growing up. I purchased the all purpose SSG (around $20-25) as I always thought they were so pretty as a kid. Anyway, with a few months of riding i am noticing the stitching is coming lose at the seems, already producing a small hole. To me, it seems that SSG has probably gone the route of outsourcing productions resulting in lesser quality. It blows my mind how something that cost $6 in the late 90s held up better than the $20something pair today.

That's interesting to hear. I got my first nice pair a few years ago and so far they've not produced any holes or anything. I never ride my English horses without them on(my others do rodeo) so they've been put to the test for sure. My first pair have been a blessing. Through rain, sun, mud, sleet, and snow they've kept my hands protected. The gloves I received just recently don't feel the same as my old pair. The leather on the top seems different. I'm not sure if it's just that my old pair has become stiff from use and wetness or if they truly are a different material. The new ones seem very soft, much softer than I remember my others ever being...

I'm genuinely confused at how the elastic on my most recent pair has become stretched seeing as they were just shipped. The elastic in my old pair is still very tight and responsive on my hand. Here's a photo of the new gloves with the stretched elastic...
http://i351.photobucket.com/albums/q...c22/Gloves.jpg

countercanter 12-31-2012 10:53 AM

I have Rockel gloves and will never own another pair ever again. They look very similar to the soft touch ones. I have had the same pair of Rockel gloves for probably 6 years now and I only use them for schooling and they are still going strong. I have another pair for just shoeing. I normally don't like riding in gloves, but these are the exception.
Posted via Mobile Device

faiza425 01-03-2013 10:50 AM

I think the quality of SSG gloves has gone down...I know people who have had theirs for years and haven't worn out, and I bought a pair two years ago that are starting to rip now. I haven't bought new gloves yet but I probably won't be buying another SSG pair. Ovation and Heritage gloves are about the same price and I've heard good things about them...

Saddlebag 01-03-2013 08:16 PM

A company puts out something that works then somewhere along the line decides to go cheap. I'd get a refund and shop elsewhere. Thanks for the head's up about SSG gloves.

NBEventer 01-08-2013 08:48 AM

I have the soft touch. They are really comfortable and have been holding up well for me. I have had them for a year and have shown in them, schooled in them, fallen off in them, broke my wrist in them, ridden in the rain... the list goes on. They have been holding up great for me. I would give them a try. Mine don't look beat up at all and I can still show with them.

upnover 01-12-2013 03:44 PM

Another vote for roekls. Hands down better then ssg.
Posted via Mobile Device