The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Breaking In Tall Boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/breaking-tall-boots-147700/)

HorseObsessedRachel 12-25-2012 09:15 PM

Breaking In Tall Boots?

So I got the Dublin Monarch tall boots, and I was wondering how to break them in? I was thinking about trying the method when you wet them with hot water and than walk around? Has anyone tried this? I am really scared I'm going to ruin my boots though.

SorrelHorse 12-25-2012 09:22 PM

I'd just put them on and walk around the house...What I did with mine. I hate breaking in boots xD

LeafOnTheWind 12-26-2012 01:26 AM

What I do with mine (and I have never have much issue with blisters) is heat up some leather oil in the microwave (just for 30 seconds or so) and use a paintbrush to paint the oil on the boot. Don't worry if the boot is excessively oily after application. I apply coat after coat once the last one dries (I think I did 5 coats on my last boots). I then buff the boots, slap them on, and wear them about the house. Unless the boots are really soft (my last ones literally started dropping as soon as I put them on) I generally wear them around for a couple days before riding in them so that they drop properly. Oh and, invest in a pair of heel lifts and use those during the break in process as well. I use this method and I always get compliments on how soft and broke in my boots are :D

gypsygirl 12-26-2012 12:14 PM

i just wear them around and ride in them everyday !

jumpinggirl 12-26-2012 02:53 PM

ALRIGHT so, I got some ariat tall boots in november and i walked around in them for 3-4 hours, and then a week later i rode in them. I got HUGE rubs on the backs of my legs. So i asked around, and the BEST WAY to break them in is to shower in them. Get them totally soaked (personally I did this after I was done washing my hair and such) and then walk around in them stretch them out bend squat (they still have to be wet) IT WORKS!!! I am still breaking them in some but the more you ride the more they will stretch out. Good luck :)!

gypsygirl 12-27-2012 09:18 AM

i would never soak my boots in water on purpose, seems like a great way to start ruining the stitching !

Fort fireman 12-28-2012 11:05 PM

I don't wear tall boots but I do wear pull on cowboy boot all the time. I have done the same thing with every pair of boots I buy. I go stand I the water trough until I start feeling my feet get damp. Not soaked just starting to get wet. Then spend the rest of the day in them. When they dry completely I mink oil the hell out of them and good to go.

juniormylove 12-28-2012 11:19 PM

I second getting them wet. Warm water works best, and you need to get both the inside and outside wet for it to work really well.
The downside is that once you get them wet, you're going to want to wear them until they're completely dry - it's even better if you can wear them while moving around, to really break in the leather. I've done this and know a handful of people who have done the same, and it's the quickest (and least painful) way I know to really break in boots.

After they dry, they should be pretty well molded to your legs and nicely broken in. If you're worried about the water hurting the leather (which it really won't, this method has been used even on really nice boots), you can just condition it afterward.

Also, I'd recommend investing in some moleskin patches to put on your ankles/heels for the first few rides to prevent rubbing.