The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Western or English? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/western-english-147734/)

amberly 12-26-2012 11:19 AM

Western or English?

When I scroll down all these different threads, I find that most of them seem to be English. I have found a few western, but mostly they are English. I was just wondering who all are English riders and who all are Western riders.
I am a western rider.
I know that there isn't that big of a difference between Western and English, but I was just curious as to which way you guys ride.

rtph 12-26-2012 12:34 PM

I just registered at this site. I ride western!

equiniphile 12-26-2012 12:47 PM

You can get a pretty good idea for what we ride by poking around threads of different disciplines. I'm an eventer, but I also have two Arabian reining horses.

BlueMonday 12-26-2012 01:04 PM

This thread is a little pointless without a Poll. Just saying :wink:

Speed Racer 12-26-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMonday (Post 1814604)
This thread is a little pointless without a Poll. Just saying :wink:

Naw, it's just as easy for people to post as to click a choice on a poll. Besides, polls are self-limiting and don't always offer the right choices.

OP, there are some pretty big differences between English and Western disciplines, but they're both equally difficult to learn properly.

I'm an English rider. Even when I switched from riding Saddleseat and English Pleasure over to trail riding, I kept the English tack. Completely personal preference, and has nothing to do with me thinking one riding style is 'better' than another.

heymckate 12-26-2012 01:24 PM

I ride English, primarily hunter/jumper, though I've tried everything from eventing (love) to saddleseat (not my thing). I've also ridden various western disciplines as well.

Cat 12-26-2012 01:41 PM

I ride trails - so do but that really fits in either category.

FaithCat 12-26-2012 01:52 PM

I ride both english and western. I started out english but changed to western when I had to move to another instuctor. Ever since then, I've felt more comfortable riding western. However, I love english too and will occasionally take out my english saddle :)

WickedNag 12-26-2012 02:14 PM

I ride western and my daughter always did until she tried english. Now she prefers english as her discipline of choice but still shows a little wp too.

BarrelBunny 12-26-2012 02:36 PM

I ride both :-) I started out western and recently switched to English. English is much harder for me than western, but I think I like English a tad bit more.