The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Chicken with a prolapse (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/chicken-prolapse-147778/)

Rachel1786 12-26-2012 07:02 PM

Chicken with a prolapse

one of my moms chickens prolapsed her-umm not sure what it is called in chickens, but anyway, the 24th I went out to help my mom and we found one of the girls in the coop with some of her insides hanging out.Most of the research I did online said the chicken should be culled(i'm guessing another word for slaughtered) but one article I read said to clean it well, apply hemorrhoid cream and gently push it back in, which is what we did. We are both trained vet techs so felt confident in doing that. Neither of us have any chicken vet tech experience tho. Today she looks good, everything is where it should be but I'm still worried that she isn't going to make it. Does anyone have any experience treating prolapses successfully?

Endiku 12-26-2012 07:14 PM

If it went back in and there isnt any discharge, I'd say she'll be just fine. Cows prolapse a lot and often are just fine the next day. The only thing is that there is a fairly high chance that she might push it back out again and might need a stitch to keep it in if it does come out.

And its still a uterus, whether on a cow, chicken, human or dog ;)

Rachel1786 12-26-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 1815169)
If it went back in and there isnt any discharge, I'd say she'll be just fine. Cows prolapse a lot and often are just fine the next day. The only thing is that there is a fairly high chance that she might push it back out again and might need a stitch to keep it in if it does come out.

And its still a uterus, whether on a cow, chicken, human or dog ;)

I was wondering about stitching, but then I was thinking if she has to lay an egg that could cause more problems, but like I said my chicken knowledge is very limited.
I was gonna say uterus, but I wasn't sure if that much came out, something I read said something about a "vent prolapse" so I wasn't sure if there was something before the uterus that was more likely to prolapse

Red Cedar Farm 12-26-2012 08:41 PM

A prolapsed cloaca can be a cause for concern and I would say take her to a vet and have her evaluated. They can stitch it back in place.
A bird's anatomy is a lot different than mammal's. In a horse or cow, the vulva is stitched leaving a small opening in the bottom for voiding urine. In a bird, what you're actually seeing is a rectal prolapse through the cloaca. The vet will not stitch this shut, because the bird still needs to be able to pass feces and urates (which come out at the same time), and eggs for the hen. The chance of her prolapsing again is good, so I would have the vet check her out.

Red Cedar Farm 12-26-2012 08:59 PM

I found this page that will be TONS more helpful in explaining this subject than I can do. It has some graphic pics, just to let you know...but they aren't horrible.
The Chicken Chick: Prolapse vent. Causes & Treatment. *graphic photos*

Rachel1786 12-29-2012 04:01 PM

Darcy(as she has now been named) prolapsed again so now we have her in the grooming room at the kennel(we own a boarding kennel) so we can more closely monitor her. Unfortunately there aren't any vets around here who treat chickens. So we are pretty much on our own this this. Darcy is in a dog crate which we've covered, she seems perfectly content to be away from her friends.

I wanted to read the "how to diaper/bandage" but it appears that link is dead :-(
She is a very good patient, I'll keep updated on her progress. My mom has a friend who owns a bird store so she is going to ask her if she knows any bird vets. There was on where I used to work but she left and I believe she moved west but I could be wrong, there is a chance she may work for one of the other small animal vets in the area.

NorthernMama 12-29-2012 04:06 PM

This just stuns me. I understand that people like all kinds of different animals and have all kinds of different pets. I'm from the bush and to me, chickens are for making eggs and meat. I would never consider treating a chicken. It's healthy or its dead.

So, how many people out there LOVE THEIR CHICKENS? I gotta know :)

Red Cedar Farm 12-29-2012 04:19 PM

I do! I love my barnyard birds!

Rachel1786 12-29-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthernMama (Post 1819559)
This just stuns me. I understand that people like all kinds of different animals and have all kinds of different pets. I'm from the bush and to me, chickens are for making eggs and meat. I would never consider treating a chicken. It's healthy or its dead.

So, how many people out there LOVE THEIR CHICKENS? I gotta know :)

lol, we have a cichlid tank in the office of the kennel, most of the fish were born in the tank and my mom even loves her fish. I came in the office one day to see her petting her fish :lol: I told her she was crazy, but if she will pet her fish, think of how attached she is to her chickens. I've never been a bird person(when I was in high school I had a traumatic experience with a cockatoo) but I have to say, I'm pretty fond of them too, I go back when I feed the horses and they all run up to greet me and let me pet them and pick them up

NorthernMama 12-29-2012 04:34 PM

The only emotional connection I ever had with a fowl was with a rooster. He chased me when I wore my red shoes and I smacked him with the shovel! I hated that dang bird.

Who else loves their chickens? Or who else is like me: a practical farmer?