The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Odd question about horse urine.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/odd-question-about-horse-urine-147797/)

MySerenity 12-26-2012 10:48 PM

Odd question about horse urine....

This is the first winter in a couple of years that I have had my Mare at home with me. I've noticed that when she pees the snow doesn't turn yellow but it turns like orange instead. It's not like red but it it gets darker in the snow after time.

My minis both pee in the lean-to (of course) so I don't have anybody to compare it to. Is this normal? She's 31 years old but it great health overall. She is on Previcox for her joints and is eating and drinking and otherwise acting completely normal.

poppy1356 12-26-2012 10:49 PM

Yes normal. Forget what it's called but its something reacting with the snow.
Posted via Mobile Device

MySerenity 12-26-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Yes normal. Forget what it's called but its something reacting with the snow.
That's good to hear. My husband was sort of freaking me out!

Lins 12-26-2012 11:22 PM

Good for you for noticing that, urine color and consistency is a good indicator of health. I agree that its probably normal in the snow, maybe try to check again when she pees again to be sure. And so you know what is normal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 12-27-2012 12:18 AM

you feeding alfalfa or clover ? too much protein maybe ?.

GracielaGata 12-27-2012 12:28 AM

I almost was posting about that yesterday! We noticed the same thing in our pastures... I did a quick google and came up with the same as a reply you got- it is due to a reaction breakdown of plant eating based urine with oxygen in the air. I noticed their manure snow areas look that way a bit too, once that gets kinda smashed up and separated from the poop. Crazy stuff though, when you don't know and you look out and see what appears to be blood colored urine!

MySerenity 12-27-2012 10:35 AM

Thanks everyone! I watched her pee this morning and it starts out normal so I guess we are alright =)

Thanks again!

mls 12-27-2012 11:14 AM

Great Lakes Equine Wellness Center - Equine Referral Center - Hortonville, Wisconsin and surrounding areas

Fulford15 12-27-2012 11:59 AM

That happens here with the cold, the horses pee turns an almost red color, first time I saw it I freaked out, checked all the horses legs to see if they were injured, my mom was laughing at me and told me its just the temperature that makes it look like that!

Saddlebag 12-28-2012 10:56 AM

Try encouraging her to drink more. If you offer her a salt lick she's not getting enough salt. Offer her loose salt, a mix of iodized and course pickling salt. I've known it for years but research has made it official that horses get a sore tongue from licks. Her salt consumption will likely double with loose salt. She will drink more and her urine should return to yellow.