The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   trainer's fault? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/trainers-fault-1478/)

maddie 04-08-2007 06:44 PM

trainer's fault?

i have another question, so the horse i'm leasing seems to be a bit rushy and im fine working on that but i worry because the trainer i just started out with recomends draw reins and martingales. I'm definately not pro-draw reins at all, infact i think they're ridiculous, but im on the fence with martingales. anywho when we jump sometimes he gets really fast and then when i ask him to stop its like he will only start going backwards or want to gallop forward but refuses to just walk. could this problem be caused by his owner and my trainer riding him in draw reins? its probably something i'm doing wrong but he says to jsut ignore it which im not happy about. should i get another trainer? decent trainers are sooooo hard to find

kristy 04-08-2007 07:58 PM

My question is: Why were draw reins recommended in the first place?

The horse seems to have a speed, tempo and rhythm issue- one that is certainly not fixed with draw reins or a martingale.

maddie 04-08-2007 08:50 PM

he recomended using them for more control or something and that he doesnt have time to get him round or something like that... his english is a little rocky but what do you mean a tempo problem?

barnrat 04-08-2007 10:56 PM

a tempo problem means that they dont keep a constant maintaining speed....Its as if you were counting the beats in the trot and it was 1.....2.....1.....2 etc. (that would be maintaining the tempo..) a problem with the tempo would be if the count was 1...2...........1.2.1....2.....1 etc.

Or as a canter.

1.2.3.1.2.3 (maintained.) change- 1....2...3...1.2.3........1.................2..... .....3

Do you understand?

This is a bit exaterated I think.

As far as I understand your trainer does not want to teach your horse to be round and so he is forcing your horse with draw reins to be round? I dont think that will help in the end.

Also, you mentioned you were a leaser? why are you the one finding a trainer? that made me a bit confused, should it not be the owner?

maddie 04-08-2007 11:54 PM

oohh okay yeah i've heard of that before, but no i started to train with this guy on his lesson horses and the person i'm leasing from now kept her horse at the barn he manages and so he thought it would be a good horse for me so i started to lease from her and now i take lessons from him on that horse. I like the horse but this is only my second trainer (the first i had for 9 years) and its difficult for me to decide if i just dont like what he does because its so different or if its just wrong, i just thought i'd get a second opinion to see if it was just me that thought it was wierd haha

savepitbulls 04-09-2007 10:51 PM

Huh, weird. I use draw reins occasionally when I'm lunging to help warm my horse up in a proper frame, but riding with draw reins is more of a bandaid than a training tool. A horse should be "pushed" forward into a proper frame - not tied down into it. Plus, horses are smart and they know when the draw reins aren't on and then they just go back to moving with their head up and their back hollowed out.

kristy 04-10-2007 12:50 AM

Draw reins do not help you gain control. If anything, they can make you loose control by causing your horse to avoid the bit or be behind the vertical -if not both.
Whether or not he is right or wrong, you aren't getting a clear understanding of what he is saying. Personally, I'd either find a new trainer or a better way to communicate with your current one.

Desert Rat 04-10-2007 01:01 PM

Well I probably won't win friends or influence to many people on this one but to me draw reins and martin gales are just another gimmick like a lot of the other so called training aids out there. Instead of useing these un-natural pieces of tack someone has designed for short cut purposes an animal should be taken back to phase one of ground work. This is where it all starts and this is where the GOOD lifetime habits should be installed

KANSAS_TWISTER 04-10-2007 04:03 PM

what kind of bit are they using on this horse??? and i've never have used draw raines on any of my horses (i agree with kristy on that), sondondly how can you not understand a trainer?, when i lived in quebec i had a very french flamboent male trainer who i dumped with in a week because i always had to stop to get him to repeat thing's and found a really nice trainer who only spoke english.

prettypalfrey 04-10-2007 04:17 PM

I don't know much about draw reins but martingales are not good to use on a horse that already tries to run. You have less control. They can run away a heck of a lot easier.