The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Black Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/black-horse-147811/)

Breezy2011 12-26-2012 11:53 PM

Black Horse

Would she be a fading black? Just want some other opinions? I know she is not a jet black.

http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...30671034_n.jpg

http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...46376106_n.jpg

NdAppy 12-27-2012 12:10 AM

She's black. There is not genetic difference at this time between fading black and nonfading black.

Breezy2011 12-27-2012 12:14 AM

Fading black horses can have a brown or red tinge and that is what she has... but jet black horses stay black, unless they are not getting the right nutrition. I believe she is fading black, but I am hoping she won't fade too much.

A lot of people say if a black horse has any amount of brown on it, it is not considered a black, but I have done some research, because I do not believe that.

I am hoping she will stay as black as she is, or maybe get darker once her winter coat sheds. I am getting a blanket for her, so she will not sun fade. I don't know if it will help, but I am hoping.

Thanks for your opinion!

NdAppy 12-27-2012 08:20 AM

If you "know" what color you "think" she is why did you even bother to ask?

I gave you the KNOWN GENETIC answer. There is no genetic difference at this point in time between fading and nonfading blacks. They are both genetically black.

verona1016 12-27-2012 11:29 AM

There are diet supplementations you can add that might help to keep a horse from fading (Black as Knight, paprika, copper), but you have to start them before the winter coat starts shedding and some will test positive in drug screening. The best preventive is to minimize UV exposure (night time turnout instead of day time, fly sheet or spray that has built in UV protection, etc)

Saddlebag 12-27-2012 12:02 PM

I read that the lower levels of copper can result in this, the black fading or turning reddish.

Breezy2011 12-27-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1815850)
If you "know" what color you "think" she is why did you even bother to ask?

I gave you the KNOWN GENETIC answer. There is no genetic difference at this point in time between fading and nonfading blacks. They are both genetically black.

I am asking for opinions, and you gave me yours so thanks.

beau159 12-27-2012 03:23 PM

I am not a color expert, but I would be tempted to call her brown (based on this photo) since there is a brown tinge to her hair over the abdomen as well as brown edges on her tail. Would be better to see her in person, of course, to tell for sure.

But for the average horse person .... that horse is black. :-)

Breezy2011 12-27-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 1816248)
I am not a color expert, but I would be tempted to call her brown (based on this photo) since there is a brown tinge to her hair over the abdomen as well as brown edges on her tail. Would be better to see her in person, of course, to tell for sure.

But for the average horse person .... that horse is black. :-)

Thanks for your opinion.

Although you may want to read this:

There are 3 types of black horses, jet black, fading black, and smoky black.

Smoky black isn't really a black horse though, it is brown with a black tinge.

Jet black is a black horse that does not fade unless it is poorly nutritioned.

Fading Black is a black horse that can have a brown or reddish tinge from the sun dying it, and its mane and tail can have brown highlights to it.

I wanted to know other peoples opinions on her colour so thank you for yours. But I, myself, still call her black, and same with others too.

Kayella 12-27-2012 03:41 PM

Like NDA said, there is no genetic difference between "fading" black and "non-fading" black. There is, however, a genetic difference in smokey black. Smokey black is cream acting on a black coat. Their color is not a result from poor nutrition or sunbleaching. It's that color because of the cream.

And no, her horse would not be brown. If the horse were brown, its "soft" points such as the flanks, behind the elbow, and the muzzle would be brown. Especially during the winter time this would be most noticeable.