The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Jumping Grid Distances (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/jumping-grid-distances-147827/)

WildHorse 12-27-2012 09:48 AM

Jumping Grid Distances

Hi everyone,

I have a 14 hand mare who I find it very difficult to set up accurate distances for when jumping grids.

I was told to set them 3 human strides apart, but they always seem to be wrong! Is this horse distance and should it be adapted for ponies? What distances do you use?

Thankyou.

gypsygirl 12-27-2012 09:55 AM

3 human strides is a ridiculous measurement, because we dont all have the same length stride. i would teach yourself how to walk a 3ft stride as that is easiest.

then you need to figure out how long your pony's stride is. i would set the distances for a 10ft stride and then go from there.

good luck =]

Fulford15 12-27-2012 12:02 PM

3 human "strides" = 1 stride.
I walk 4 strides, allowing 1 stride to be for landing and take off for a grid.

gypsygirl 12-27-2012 12:05 PM

you must have monster strides !

the reason counting that way is ridiculous [if you dont know your 'stride' length] is because everyones 'stride' is different. my stride length is shorter than that trainer who is a foot taller than me. so 4 of my strides are not as long as 4 of his. it is incredibly inaccurate !

Fulford15 12-27-2012 12:17 PM

I am not sure, I guess everyone does it differently, hard to explain over a computer too, lol.
The only way I know is from Peter Holmes, international course designer, used to coach me and he did course setting clinics as well. I have always set courses this way and have never had problems.

MyBoyPuck 12-27-2012 07:50 PM

I know for an average size horse, it's 9' for a canter bounce, 18' for a one stride using verticals, 21' for a vertical to oxer. Maybe just reduce all those distances by 1' until you find the stride that is correct for her.

wren 01-06-2013 10:00 AM

One day my trainer and i set pretty good stride lengths for my horse for a bounce, 1 stride, 2 stride, and 3 stride. After we were done i went back out and counted it in my own normal walking stride and kept those numbers in my phone. Is it fool-proof? no way, but at least when i want to set a grid quickly i can just use my own steps.

i guess that doesn't help you set the original strides, but will help you remember them later