The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Little Help with Potential New Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/little-help-potential-new-horse-147879/)

scubadreams 12-27-2012 09:13 PM

Little Help with Potential New Horse

2 Attachment(s)
I am looking at a 1994 Thoroughbred gelding. He has been a 3rd level dressage horse and has jumper experience as well. He has a wonderful personality and is quiet on the ground, he is probably not suitable for a beginner rider. Must stay in front shoes.

When I wrote the owner of this horse this is what they wrote back...

Apollo hasn't had any injuries that we are aware of. We are a therapeutic riding center and he was donated in 2011. He was never solid enough to make it into our program and has been hanging out needing a new home for awhile now. He has excellent ground manners and can be handled by anyone but under saddle, he needs someone with a little experience as his TB side comes out every now and then. He shows all the signs of the wear and tear you would expect an 18 year old jumper to have. He is not 100% sound but we are not able to invest money in a horse we can't use so I think there are things you could try to get him sound- ie injections, legend, joint supplement, etc. We radiographed his front legs and didn't find anything too alarming and are currently working him lightly. You are welcome to come evaluate him for yourself or have your vet evaluate him.

I know they are not very good pictures of him but this is all that are posted. I just want him to ride around nothing to major like high level.

Thanks for your help:-P

rookie 12-27-2012 10:03 PM

can you remind me what you are looking to do? I just worry about using a horse that has a lameness issue for jumping or high level dressage. I would get a pre-purchase either way because known lameness issues raise some flags. Hock injections do cost money but not that much depending on area and if you are looking to sell a horse a sound horse moves quicker than a lame horse. So, I guess for me thats a red flag. They also say that his thoroughbred traits come out which seems like a warning as well. I am not sure what they mean by that but it conjures up the image of a possibly lame horse that periodically has mental break downs and is difficult to control. I can't say much about conformation as I don't know much about it. I know what I like but not much more.

Pattilou 12-27-2012 11:13 PM

For a supposed 3rd level dressage he has a very hollow back and lots of muscle on the front end and virtually none on the back.... makes me wonder..

Muppetgirl 12-27-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattilou (Post 1816889)
For a supposed 3rd level dressage he has a very hollow back and lots of muscle on the front end and virtually none on the back.... makes me wonder..

It's probably because the OP already said he WAS a 3rd level and he was given to the therapeutic riding centre and that he has also been hanging out not doing much for a while......including he's 18yrs old.

scubadreams 12-28-2012 06:04 PM

Thanks for everyones help : )