The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Beginning dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/beginning-dressage-147905/)

loveyourhorse 12-27-2012 11:46 PM

Beginning dressage

So I've been thinking lately that it may be a good idea for my mare and I to work with a dressage trainer. I could be wrong but I'm thinking it will help me with my seat and help my mare to become more balance and get off her forehand.

Now, as a hunter/jumper for the past 16 years... I know nothing about dressage. Anyone have any tips or suggestions that I should keep in mind when getting started?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tnavas 12-28-2012 05:37 AM

I'm sure that you will have schooled your horse on the flat so that it is supple and obedient to ride - if so you have been doing dressage.

Dressage is just very organised schooling. You might like to get a book from the library to read more about it. You will find words such as Working paces, these are performed in trot & canter. Walk has Medium, collected, extended and also Free walk on a long reain - usually done to reward a horse for correct work. There will be talk about working the horse from the inside leg into the outside hand/contact and much stress if the horse become above or behind the bit. All in all dressage produces a lovely balanced horse, with easy to control paces and manners. Supple and a pleasure to ride.

Have fun

tinyliny 12-28-2012 02:49 PM

Learning what the terms mean before the actual lesson might help.

Fulford15 12-28-2012 02:57 PM

I rode H/J's for 9 years before I started Dressage. I would just like to say, it will benefit you and your horse A LOT! My position has improved immaculately from Dressage, my horse is a lot more comfortable and I understand his body so much better, needless to say I love Dressage!
Just listen to your trainer, ask questions, make your mind a sponge! :D

And P.S. sitting in a Dressage saddle for the first time, makes you feel like your sitting in a bucket if your used to your jumping saddle all the time lol!!

loveyourhorse 12-28-2012 05:23 PM

Thanks guys! My first lesson isn't for both two week but I'm already getting excited!
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 12-29-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loveyourhorse (Post 1816945)
So I've been thinking lately that it may be a good idea for my mare and I to work with a dressage trainer. I could be wrong but I'm thinking it will help me with my seat and help my mare to become more balance and get off her forehand.

If you find a right dressage trainer it'll benefit both - you and (especially) the horse - tremendously. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

hellothere 12-29-2012 09:24 PM

I'm a beginner dressage rider! It's seriously amazing and it is truly rewarding. It feels so wonderful to achieve the results for which you are working. You're absolutely right, it will help with both of your issues. From my understanding, hunter riders ride with a more forward seat. As a dressage rider, you will learn to sit deeper into the seat with a more upright posture. Your canter, instead of in two-point, will be deeper, you'll be moving with the horse using your hips. I think it'll be great for you to learn dressage because you'll know two kinda different disciplines and use universal skills in both. God bless!

star16 01-23-2013 11:01 AM

Finding a trainer that treats both you and your horse right is probably the most important thing.

The best part of dressage (in my opinion) is the connection that it gives you and your horse. So, even if you don't compete or advance into high levels, you'll still enjoy it. It can be kind of stressful, but dressage is REALLY fun!!