The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Liking riding without stirrups better? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/liking-riding-without-stirrups-better-147913/)

Live2Ride15 12-28-2012 12:24 AM

Liking riding without stirrups better?

I just started riding with out my stirrups allot now I have done a little in that past amd always hated it, but now as I am doing it more I like with out them better. Am I weird for liking it better or do other riders like it better stirrupless too?
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 12-28-2012 07:06 PM

I know what you're saying. I do find my overall position stays better without them. It's almost like the stirrups get in the way once you pick them back up. It's probably more because you're forced to keep a good position or else become a victim of gravity.

ponyboy 12-29-2012 06:38 PM

When we first started doing sitting trot without stirrups our instructor told us that one day we wouldn't like using them. None of us believed her but she was right. Stirrups are good for jumping and just to rest your legs on a long trail ride, but schooling on the flat is easier without them. I don't know why dressage riders use them at all.

Almond Joy 12-29-2012 08:16 PM

I find that no stirrups helps my canter so much- I can actually sit it well without stirrups. I'm getting better with them, but it's slow progress. It also really helps me quiet and control my posting trot, and my sitting trot has also improved a lot.

Foxtail Ranch 12-29-2012 08:31 PM

We couldn't afford a saddle when I was young, so I always rode with a bareback pad. I just got horses again about 2 1/2 years ago and now I have a nice saddle, but I prefer bareback pad still. I have always felt more balanced and safer bareback. Nothing to get hung up on. It's nice to hear others say the same.
Posted via Mobile Device

graceunderpressure 01-02-2013 10:56 PM

TERRIFYING at first, but it does so much to help the position and reminds you to actually use your body to ride; I think I may rely on stirrups too much for balance. Man is it hard to not feel like you're going to go flying off.. It's been a long time since I rode stirrupless and felt safe, but that is a goal of mine in the next couple of months.