The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Protection (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/)
-   -   What exactly is neglect?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-protection/what-exactly-neglect-147934/)

gamingirl22 12-28-2012 09:26 AM

What exactly is neglect??

Hi, I visited a barn recently where the horses used to be very lively and they used to have great living conditions. But now they have gone downhill. These horses are completely lifeless and they are losing weight even though they are fed (very dusty) hay. The owner NEVER deworms them, cleans out their hooves (because they have horrible thrush), feeds them decent hay, cleans out their water buckets (they had about an inch of black slime on the bottom), or trims their hooves. Their hooves are very long and I have mentioned this to the owner but its been two weeks now and she still has not taken care of the horse's hooves even though they need trimmed very badly. The horses shy away whenever I put my hand up to touch them (suspicious?) and their stall is horrible. She doesn't have any shavings and she probably hasn't cleaned it out for about 2 years. There is poop everywhere and there are even candy wrappers , pieces of plastic, bale twine, and even some dead birds in the stall!! I'm not sure if I should report this or not because I don't know if the authorities would do something because the horses aren't close to death yet. What should I do??

Speed Racer 12-28-2012 10:09 AM

Definitely sounds like neglect, but you can't prove abuse just because some of them shy away from your hand. One, they don't know you, two, some horses are naturally head shy, and three, if they haven't been handled regularly they're going to be spooky. So no, I don't find their behavior 'suspicious'.

If the living conditions are really as bad as you describe, call AC. There are certain requirements for housing animals properly.

Red Cedar Farm 12-28-2012 03:16 PM

Totally agree with Speed Racer. Call animal control or the local authorities (even the police dept.) and file a complaint. Someone has to speak up for these horses!

Saddlebag 01-15-2013 01:21 PM

Here's something to ponder: when a horses hooves get abnormally long, it is painful for the horse. Would that be considered neglect or a form of abuse?

Cat 01-15-2013 07:44 PM

I always considered most forms of neglect a type of abuse.

Red Cedar Farm 01-18-2013 06:03 PM

Saddlebag...yes. This is definitely neglect.

Druydess 01-18-2013 06:48 PM

I would definitely call. I had to call once on a woman that was not giving her mare proper medical treatment for a festering, rotting face. Neglect is abuse.

gamingirl22 02-19-2013 07:03 PM

Okay, i think I'll just send in pictures of their living conditions. (They also have bad thrush and are not being treated for it) (The owner also never cleans their stall-it's disgusting) The fact is that this farm is back pretty far away from the road and no one except for me and the owner go down to the barn. I'm scared that if someone from animal control goes over there and looks at the horses and then says it's nothing to worry about or confirms the owner that the horses need help but it isn't serious, the owner will definitely know it was me! But i think i'll send in pics first and see what happens....

gamingirl22 02-19-2013 07:04 PM

I've been taking care of these horses for 4 years now and they have really gotten downhill in the past year after I bought my horse from her. I can't stand to see them suffer like this and not be able to do anything. I really hope it all works out.

Red Cedar Farm 02-19-2013 07:52 PM

Keep us posted