The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Getting Started in Driving. HELP (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/getting-started-driving-help-147936/)

AnalisaParalyzer 12-28-2012 10:02 AM

Getting Started in Driving. HELP

so, Annie is lame, and will be off for at least a month. during that time, i want to fix up a cart, just a little one as a hands on fix it project, so i can go for nice little rides with my fiance once annie is better. heres on close to me that i found, and i have a few questions.

is it decent for a beginner?
what kind of repairs am i looking at?
any advice for starting her to it? She'll drag a tire, and iis fine with four wheelers following her, but i'm sure theres a better way.
is my 16h mare gonna fit in this?
how safe is it?
road safe?

please help...... i've never even ridden in a cart, lol.

i know you'll all say find a trainer, but the closest one is an hour and a half away, so i'll get maybe a lesson a month if i can. otherwise, heres what i'm looking at.

Cabriolet 2 seater (horse drawn) for New Years------------------------

Endiku 12-28-2012 09:01 PM

IMO it looks very rickety and I would strongly warn against getting a cart with no back to the seat. All it takes is one little spook and you'll be flat on your back with a runaway horse. I can't tell you if your mare will fit in it because I dont know how wide she or the wagon is. I wouldnt consider it to be road safe at all, and definitely not green horse safe, but I'm not an expert. I'd keep looking but wait until churumbque, taffy, or one of the other experts take a look.

Taffy Clayton 12-28-2012 09:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi it looks like a big project. I was going to say deffinatly no. I don't trust the ad. It is not even close to a cabriolet and I think it is over priced. The wood looks dry in spots and in the last photo the fellow looks cracked on the wheel.

It is also a one person cart, you can cram another person on the cart but it is not comfy, Also what endiku said about no back, while it might be ok for one no back with 2 ppl in that tiny seat you could be dumped for sure.

I am thinling of selling the exact same cart and was thinking of asking $400.
This is mine, so I know about the size of the seat.

Saddlebag 12-28-2012 11:19 PM

Taffy, you are breaking my heart. I would need it dismantled and shipped. The older Viceroy would wind up costing me close to $1200 and it's not really what I want. The two wheeler would be better.

AnalisaParalyzer 12-29-2012 09:09 AM

Would something like this be more suitable? its a little closer to me than you are taffy, lol. i understand that i want something stable, that wont be a hazard when she spooks, yes? and something relatively road safe.... so much to learn.....

cart and wagon

AnalisaParalyzer 12-29-2012 09:10 AM

or this...
Old Buggy

Taffy Clayton 12-29-2012 09:32 AM

The first cart I would buy before the other two.
The second and third carts are too small for a 16 hand horse. You are never going to get by with wire wheels for a horse as big as yours.

The first cart has possibilities, It has an unusual spring configuration, it looks like the spring is under the cross bar. I have never seen that before.
But the cart looks like it has been kept outside in the weather and you do not want that.

AnalisaParalyzer 12-29-2012 11:44 AM

i do have the help of two separate wood workers (my grandad and a business partner) and a friend who does minor welding, would that help getting the first cart into better shape? maybe we could weld a back on to it and i could repaint and re upholster and get my woody buddies to fix up and tell me what i need to do?

Taffy Clayton 12-29-2012 12:04 PM

Okay if you have someone that knows wood go with you.
Remember thet the wheels are the most expensive part of that cart. They are very hard to repair, most times it is more costeffective to replace the wheels.
You usually must replace the wheels and axel at the same time. Those wheels will run you around $400+ to replace if they are rotten.

If the paint is just stripped not peeling from the weather it is a possibility.

Again the most important is the wheels.
Lift up the cart on one side and spin the wheels, they should spin freely several times around. My meadowbrook spins about 5-6 times. When you spin they should not wobble to much, half inch is okay but no more. The wheels should be round with no flat spots. The wheels should be beveled, not straight up and down, this helps with concushion. Check to make sure the spokes are not loose where they go into the fellows. Make sure the fellows are not rotten just inside the iron rim. Shake the wheels and see how loose they are where they attach to the axel, some play is ok, you can fix with washers but not alot.

Get Whitmer Coach shop catalog 717 656 3411

AnalisaParalyzer 12-29-2012 12:21 PM

so much to learn!!!!