The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Movies, Music, and TV (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/)
-   -   Life of Pi - WARNING: Possible spoilers! (http://www.horseforum.com/movies-music-tv/life-pi-warning-possible-spoilers-147958/)

riccil0ve 12-28-2012 03:26 PM

Life of Pi - WARNING: Possible spoilers!

I HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE, but I plan to. Eventually.

I did just read the book though. Has anyone seen the movie? What are your thoughts? What about the book?

I really need to join a book club, haha.

Jake and Dai 12-28-2012 03:32 PM

Loved both! I read the book quite a while ago, it was originally published in 2002! So I don't remember enough about the nitty gritty details. But I was stunned by it (in a good way). :-)

DH and I saw the movie a couple of weeks ago. If you can, I recommend seeing it in 3D. I'd always thought movies in 3D were gimmicky and cheesy but this one truly isn't. It was visually breathtaking and extremely well done overall (actors, story, CGI etc)!! I think the 3D-ness of it added such depth!

I'm happy that there was such a span of time between when I read the book and when I saw the movie as oftentimes, I'm sooooo disappointed by the film version of a book I've really enjoyed.

This is definitely a must-see on the big screen as I don't think even a HD TV in the living room would do it quite the same justice.

riccil0ve 12-28-2012 05:24 PM

Noted! Did the movie follow the book or does it take a different route?

I must say, I was really disappointed in the very end of the book. It just ended with the reporter's notes. I wanted a more deep ending.

Jake and Dai 12-29-2012 08:38 AM

:D Ricci...I have to reread the book before I can answer your questions.

I read so much and the older I get, the less I retain sadly. So I don't remember all the details (it's been 4-5 yrs since I've read it) but do remember the overall feeling the book gave me. And I do remember being vaguely disappointed in the end too, even though overall it was stunning. :wink:

What I can tell you...I thought the ending of the movie was REALLY well done. I remember sitting there thinking...whoah!

I could never ever be in a book club! I never remember the details! HAHAHAHAHAHA

maura 12-29-2012 10:17 AM

I was very disappointed by the ending of the book. Up until that point I was completely enthralled and engrossed by the story, and very invested in the outcome. While I recognize that there were lots of clues throughout the story, I still felt cheated and disappointed by the ending. I don't think it was honest storytelling.

My disappointment was heightened because I LOVED everything up to that point; I hadn't been that engaged by a story in some time.

I don't think I want to see the movie, I think having a very clear visual representation of Pi's story will make the shock and disappointment at the end even more pronounced. The trailers for the movie and the special effects look amazing; but, nooooo ... I don't want to set myself up again.

I have tried vey hard to avoid spoilers in this post, if anyone wants to know specifics, perhaps we should PM or put up a spoiler alert?

Ink 12-29-2012 10:44 AM

It does say possible spoiler alerts in the thread title, so maybe just for emphasis put something along the lines of **SPOILERS** before you start typing them?
I'm interested to know what about the ending you didn't like. I read it a couple years ago, but I don't remember being let down by the ending. Are you're talking about the alternate version of the story he told?

riccil0ve 12-29-2012 10:50 AM

I put a spoiler alert warning in the title, but maybe we can add another to a post that will surely spoil?

I felt the same way, Maura. I thought it was brilliant all the way through. And then the end story, I just sat there thinking, "really?!"

The book was much more religious than I thought it would be, but it was quick-witted and humorous without being discriminating and I appreciated that.

I still think I want to see the movie. I think I can convince myself to believe the first and not the second, you know?

HF doesn't have group PM does it?

ETA: I am, yes. And also the abrupt ending, I would have liked to follow him more after.
Posted via Mobile Device

FaithCat 12-29-2012 11:01 AM

I saw Life of Pi with my mom. I had read the book about a year ago and my mom knew nothing about it(except that it had to do with a kid and a tiger). We both enjoyed the movie very much. My mom, who is not a movie person, loved it and recommended it to several of her friends.
There is so much symbolism in Life of Pi and the 2nd story he tells is quite disturbing. It leaves out some parts of the book, but I think that the movie is very good and worth watching!

riccil0ve 12-29-2012 11:03 AM

It is very disturbing. I guess the question is which story is "true?"
Posted via Mobile Device

Jake and Dai 12-29-2012 11:12 AM

What I liked about the move, more so than the book, is that you're left really wondering which was the truth? In the book I didn't get that feeling, but in the movie I did.