The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Different types of beet pulp? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/different-types-beet-pulp-147995/)

poppy1356 12-28-2012 09:13 PM

Different types of beet pulp?

1 Attachment(s)
So my other thread got me thinking about what other types of beet pulp exist. I had never bought beet pulp or even seen it until I had to get it this summer for my mare. I just told the feed store I wanted beet pulp without molasses and all they had was crumbles. So as far as I know it is not pellets because well it's half powder stuff.

So I am wondering if anyone else has seen this type and what other types there are? It seems no one else has heard of beet pulp crumbles. I am only curious here about what all exists when it comes to beet pulp.

Speed Racer 12-28-2012 09:17 PM

There are shreds, pellets, and crumbles, and you can get them with or without added molasses. I'd buy the no-molasses type, but the only kind my feed store has is shreds with molasses, so that's what I get.

poppy1356 12-28-2012 09:21 PM

I had heard of the shreds but had no idea what crumbles were lol. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Talking all without molasses.

waresbear 12-28-2012 09:28 PM

The only kind of BP for sale in this area is the pellets. The shredded kind sounds interesting though, the crumbles are prolly crushed pellets maybe?

nvr2many 12-28-2012 09:31 PM

I use Pellets, I didn't know about the crumbles. Seems if your going to soak it then it would all be the same once soaked???? Is there a reason for the shreds or crumbles?? Do you feed them without soaking???

poppy1356 12-28-2012 09:32 PM

I figured it was just leftovers lol. I'm not sure how good it is as sometimes I will find a stray kernal of corn or sometimes a few. I would like to know how about these crumbles come into exisistance.

No I add water, my feed store doesn't have pellets and this is all they have without molasses.

Speed Racer 12-28-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1818266)
I had heard of the shreds but had no idea what crumbles were lol. Is there an advantage to one over the other? Talking all without molasses.

Not really, it's all the same thing, just in somewhat different form.

I know that some folks feed the pellets dry, but I'd never feed the shreds or crumbles that way. I've always soaked them.

poppy1356 12-28-2012 09:42 PM

Ok so how do crumbles come about? Are they just crushed pellets? I am wondering because sometimes there is some corn in my beet pulp, not ever enough for me to fret about but I'm just wondering how it got there lol.

Speed Racer 12-28-2012 10:22 PM

All of the various forms are made from the dried pulp. Each of them are shaped independently, so crumbles aren't pulverized pellets.

If you're getting corn in yours, that means the machinery isn't being cleaned properly between different feed stuff processings.

poppy1356 12-28-2012 10:27 PM

So I should call the mill and make sure they don't process anything that could be harmful to horses? It's a local mill and there's just a tag with the name and phone number on it.
Posted via Mobile Device