The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Warm Hoof (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/warm-hoof-148028/)

woodsmenjoe 12-29-2012 02:08 AM

Warm Hoof

I just got a horse I went down to give her some apples on Christmas I checked her feet they all were cold the weather was very cold then. Today I brought ten bales of hey, wormed her and gave her some feed and hey as I was grooming her I felt of her feet and they were warm all of them. Should I be worried or not? The weather was nice today as well not cold at all.

PaintHorseMares 12-29-2012 06:25 AM

Unless she's lame, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Hooves will feel warm after just standing in the sun for a couple minutes. Unlike feeling for heat/swelling in the joints, gauging temperature changes in the hoof is very difficult.

woodsmenjoe 12-29-2012 10:27 AM

thank you for the information, an replying to my post I am about to head down to feed her now I will check her feet first thing off the bat.

Ray MacDonald 12-29-2012 11:24 AM

Warm feet are also a sign of laminitis so if this heat continues, I would get her checked out.

LiveJumpLove 12-29-2012 07:10 PM

I agree with all above comments^
Also the frog is what pumps the blood in the hoof so it could just be that.

MyBoyPuck 12-29-2012 07:45 PM

If they continue to feel warm, check for a digital pulse. No pulse, probably nothing to worry about.

woodsmenjoe 12-29-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald (Post 1818978)
Warm feet are also a sign of laminitis so if this heat continues, I would get her checked out.

I checked them again today as I was going to pick them out, they are all still warm. She lifted her hoof up but not very long maybe 15-30 seconds. I could not tell you how long it had been since someone has picked her feet because I just got her on Christmas she is very skiny & poor.

shaggy 12-30-2012 03:43 AM

I agreed with other the posters! First pick her feet out good and Second Check for thrush it'll be black and smell horrible, if her feet havent been picked out in awhile that could be whats causing the heat.

Saddlebag 12-30-2012 01:34 PM

In the winter a horse's hooves can generate a lot of heat, that is why they get snowballs. The heat makes dry snow moist and a snow ball builds.