The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Is showing wrong or right? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/showing-wrong-right-148036/)

Horseloverlucy 12-29-2012 07:37 AM

Is showing wrong or right?

I would like to find out what people's opinions are on showing/competition.

JustImagine 12-29-2012 08:02 AM

I don't see how it could possibly be wrong. If you don't want to show, then don't show.
I show for the fun of it, and I rarely do the larger shows. Some people like doing the larger, more expensive shows so they compete in them.

Speed Racer 12-29-2012 08:43 AM

It's a personal preference; there is no 'right' or 'wrong' to showing.

Ray MacDonald 12-29-2012 09:42 AM

I agree, showing isn't right or wrong but there are people that will do some serious damage to their horses in order to win. Or hate their horses if they don't win.

Ink 12-29-2012 09:55 AM

I think there a few videos floating around youtube proclaiming the evils of equine competition and bits, perhaps what prompted the OP's question? So yes, you do get a handful of people who put winning over the welfare of their horses. However, for the vast majority of us, that isn't the case. For many folks, shows are simply a way of... well, showing off: what they've accomplished with their horse's training and even what they've accomplished themselves as riders. There is nothing inherently wrong with horse shows. Some people enjoy competing and some don't, to each his (or her) own.

Joe4d 12-29-2012 10:43 AM

they are not for me, I put 1000 miles on my horse this year, with nary a injury, no sore backs, no saddle rubs, no illness, yet most of the show world will say I am "wrong" with pretty much everything I do,, ah well. But as long as they arnt abusive to the horse it is all just having fun with your animals. Nothing wrong with that.
What I do find wrong is shows that encourage abuse, or are total hypocrites like the TWHBEA shows. SAY they are against soring, but then create a rule set and judging criteria that requires it to be competitive.
Also I dont like show organizations that change the breed. QH's with so much allowed "Appendix" stock you cant tell them apart from TB's. Or halter classes that look like roid head freaks. TN walkers that are so narrow you feel like your setting on a fence rail to get on one. Arabians bred to look pretty and flashy and loosing the endurance and solid hardy characteristics.
Too each his own and I ts not so much a problem with the above horses but with them using the same name, TWH now applies to two completely different horses. QH is probably 3 different horses.

GoAppendix 12-29-2012 11:22 AM

Don't be silly, AQHA has more than three types of horses. And I love it.

amberly 12-29-2012 11:36 AM

I love to show. I love t show people how good I can do. The people in my 4-H do not know how to handle horses right. I'm the only one that can, it's pretty sad. Horses don't deserve to be kicked like a soccer ball.
I also show because People give me more feedback on things I should work on. even if it is just for show - but I like it and I will improve it. Like last year, the only reason I didn't get grand or second champion, is because I didn't take the reins off when I was walking my horse on ground, and because I forgot one of the quarters. But I have worked on that, and now I am even more confident.

Dustbunny 12-29-2012 12:18 PM

It's a personal preference.
Just remain a good sport. That's important.

SaddleStrings 12-30-2012 12:02 AM

I like showing because it gives me goals to work towards and even makes me think about deadlines to get things accomplished. I prefer smaller shows as it doesn't feel as competitive and helps keep my goals small and also helps to keep me focused instead of discouraged and overwhelmed.