The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   anyone else have chickens?? they arent roosting with the heat lamp (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/anyone-else-have-chickens-they-arent-148055/)

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 10:46 AM

anyone else have chickens?? they arent roosting with the heat lamp

so its about 0 to -1 here in nebraska, and we turned on one heat lamp.
we have 8 hens, 4 of which are about 2 years old, the other 4 are less than a year old and havent experienced a winter yet.

i keep finding my youngest hens wont roost now the lamp is on, they are laying on the ground underneath the roost (we also have a slanted tin to catch the feces and scrape off) so its dark under there.

the other 4 older hens, will roost right under the lamp. im not sure if my youngest ones just done understand, or if they think its to light up there now or what because i would imagine if it was to warm the older 4 wouldnt go up under the light. ??

Left Hand Percherons 12-29-2012 12:54 PM

Is the heat lamp white or red? If it's white it is probably triggering them to think it's day time. Try changing the bulb or angle the light so part of the perch is not in the bright light. Are the younger hens more cold tolerant breeds than the older ones? Anther thought is there enough perch space for all of them under the heat lamp? As long as the younger hens are going about their business, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 12:56 PM

Red head lamp and their is tons of room on the perch, as low as from the ground up to about 5ft high, I have just buff orp, Rhode Island reds and barred rock. 3 reds are under the light and all others are underneath
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 12-29-2012 12:58 PM

How close is the lamp to the perch? I have a red lamp and it's in the corner pointing diagonally towards the rest of the coop. Other than a few dimwit chickens who have always slept in the nesting boxes, everyone is on the perch at night.

I have 2 coops, one is heated, one is not (not big enough to hold a heat lamp) and when I turned the lamp on in the big coop, a bunch of chickens switched coops. Some wanted in that heated coop and some wanted OUT. I have no idea why....