The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   what are "pig eyes" ? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-pig-eyes-148058/)

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 10:58 AM

what are "pig eyes" ?

my gelding apparently comes from a line with so called "pig eyes" which is apparently a distinct trait from two eyed jack 1961, one of the 4th gen. on his pedigree.

im not sure i understand what they look like or what they mean when its said he has pig eyes.

sounds insulting to me lol

http://www.horseforum.com/members/36...86/a-35557.jpg

Speed Racer 12-29-2012 11:08 AM

It's a conformational flaw, so of course isn't a flattering term.

When a horse has 'pig eyes' it means its eyes are very small in relation to the size of its head. A horse's eyes should be fairly large and take up a good portion of its skull.

Based on that picture, I'd say your horse is pig eyed.

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 11:14 AM

oh okay, i thought they were refering to the shape or inset or something. i got it now, sad day my poor guy is flawed lol its ok hes a good horse, thank you!

Jake and Dai 12-29-2012 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My big guy has pig eyes. When I first got him I just noticed he didn't have a big soft eye but didn't think much of it. I was too enamored by the rest of him.

It's funny because he is so rock steady and actually very very affectionate. Which I never associated with a pig eyed horse. LOL

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 11:25 AM

lmao!! no that is the other gelding, the good one. this has been a big confusion lately, because i dont have photos or even post about the holy terror until yesterday i had a couple questions.

the holy terror is a grey gelding.
this is my main man, hes got a few things he needs to work on still but he is overall a very friendly, behaved (for the most part lol), willing to learn and please horse. hes a pretty good boy, unlike the grey.

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 1819055)
My big guy has pig eyes. When I first got him I just noticed he didn't have a big soft eye but didn't think much of it. I was too enamored by the rest of him.

It's funny because he is so rock steady and actually very very affectionate. Which I never associated with a pig eyed horse. LOL

yeah, when i first got steel (the dun) i didnt even notice his eye in that way, I did think he had almost a longer looking face but didnt refer it to the eye size, now that i see what pig eyed means thats probably why his face looks longer in a way.

i dont really know the general personality traits of a pig eyed horse, but steel is very friendly, kind and affectionate as well and is very willing to learn and do as you ask, hes always trying to figure out what you want or little things. very very smart boy.

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 11:30 AM

what makes a pig eyed horse have different like personality traits or something? or a difference in his communication or whatever having pig eyes could affect?

Jake and Dai 12-29-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlottaBitCountry (Post 1819061)

i dont really know the general personality traits of a pig eyed horse, but steel is very friendly, kind and affectionate as well and is very willing to learn and do as you ask, hes always trying to figure out what you want or little things. very very smart boy.

Honestly? I don't know the personality traits of a pig eyed horse, or even if there are any because we all know, horses are all individuals. I was just totally generalizing based on something I maybe sort of heard, or just made up. HAHAHAHAHAHA

AlottaBitCountry 12-29-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 1819065)
Honestly? I don't know the personality traits of a pig eyed horse, or even if there are any because we all know, horses are all individuals. I was just totally generalizing based on something I maybe sort of heard, or just made up. HAHAHAHAHAHA

hahaha, it happens! i just was like wait, the eyes can make a difference in a horses behavior/personality/communication etc? lol

sometimes i make things up and dont realize it, then i cant recal if i heard it somewhere or just made it up on my own or what hahaha.

Dustbunny 12-29-2012 11:53 AM

Honestly? Other than looks and the way one might feel about a small-eyed horse, can anyone really assign personality charactistics to a physical flaw, or what is considered a flaw?
Poor things...out there all dejected and unwanted. Sad really. What are all those pig-eyed horses going to do?
Truthfully, It might not be the most pleasant horse to look at but if it was the best horse for my purpose (which is not showing or breeding) that fault would not keep me from buying one.