The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horses vs. The Rest of My Life (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horses-vs-rest-my-life-148098/)

hellothere 12-29-2012 04:34 PM

Horses vs. The Rest of My Life

Just curious to see where horses fall in the scheme of your entire life.
Kay, so we've got 7 days per week... 24 hours per day... where do you fall?

For me, I'm generally 4 days a week, at least 1 1/2 at the barn each time (many times more ya know). It's really difficult for me to balance everything between school, other extra activities.. nah, not easy.

Are you a one-day a week lesson rider, a 12 hr/5 day a week horseperson, or what? Just curious :)

Casey02 12-29-2012 04:37 PM

Every other day, me and my friend trade off at the barn so I would say 3-4 times a week at least, for about 1-5 hours, depending if we are riding, cleaning or just feeding

Nightside 12-29-2012 06:03 PM

7 days a week, 1 - 2 hours a day spent feeding/grooming/ground work. I ride for 30 minutes a day every day, alternating between two horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

Northernstar 12-29-2012 06:18 PM

My horses are right here at home, so : 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and 3-4 times each day I'm out feeding/grooming/cleaning shed/pasture/etc.... Then groundwork, nuzzling, playing, a little riding, or just simply hanging out and enjoying. Each day begins by slipping out of a nice warm bed at sunrise- but it's worth every second :)

Wallaby 12-29-2012 06:19 PM

7 days a week here (I keep my horse at home - if she were boarded, I would see her MUCH less). I probably spend about an hour-2 hours per day messing with her.

Generally, in the morning I feed grain, muck stalls, do a daily check over, you know the drill. In the evening, I feed grain again, bring her into her stall, fix hay, switch blankets if need be, etc.

I'm on break right now but when I'm back in school, it'll be more like 1hr per day. It's dark at night (and my barn has no electricity) so I want to get out of there fast (no dilly-dallying like I do now) and, in the morning, I'm hurrying to get to school on time.

"Luckily" my mare is currently recovering from an injury so she's not ride-able. If she were, we would be basically limited to riding on the weekends.

ItsNOWandFOREVER 12-29-2012 06:22 PM

Ahhh lucky some of you! My barn is about 30 mins awat from me. Atleast i have a car:) but the weather is seriously stopping me from seeing him:( he gets spooked of strong wind and thats all its been around here.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 12-29-2012 06:51 PM

Wish I had 2 hours a day to "mess" with horses.

I get to go to barn about 3 days a week (more in summer, less in winter, so average year round of 3 out of the 7)

each trip there , if to ride, takes at least 4 hours out of my day. goes by in a flash.
the horses are a 15 min. drive away, but another 15 min to find them on the huge pasture and bring them up.

walkinthewalk 12-29-2012 07:02 PM

I've been on a horse since I was two. I started breaking and training for my grandpap when I was 12. I was only out of horses one year when I put the horse I'd raised from birth to sleep when he was 29 and I was 42.

Hours spent per day have always varied, depending on a new baby, overtime at work, and those few years I had to board and was working plus raising a child on my own. Nobody got sold, we just "kept-on keepin' on".

I am now fully retired and unable to ride. I spend 3-5 hours every single day with my four Keepers, who range in age from 17 - 26+. Then there's stalls to muck after I turn them out.

I am 65 so, as they go to meet their ancestors, there won't be any replacements.

corgi 12-29-2012 07:06 PM

The boarding barn is halfway between my house and my office. About 15 minutes from each. I try to stop by and see Isabella at least 3-4 times a week but it has been very hard lately with the shorter days.

I try to ride 1-2 times a week, but once again, lack of daylight and the nasty weather is keeping me from meeting that goal.

When I just stop by to visit her, I stay about 1.5 hours. When I ride, I am usually there about 3 hours.

PaintHorseMares 12-29-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northernstar (Post 1819673)
My horses are right here at home, so : 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and 3-4 times each day I'm out feeding/grooming/cleaning shed/pasture/etc.... Then groundwork, nuzzling, playing, a little riding, or just simply hanging out and enjoying. Each day begins by slipping out of a nice warm bed at sunrise- but it's worth every second :)

Same here, and I wouldn't change anything.
Posted via Mobile Device