The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   why does my horse GRUNT when being ridden? Lol (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/why-does-my-horse-grunt-when-148099/)

Horsecrazy4ever 12-29-2012 03:46 PM

why does my horse GRUNT when being ridden? Lol

I have a foxtrotter gelding that grunts when he is gaiting! :shock:

He has a super fast walk that to-die-for smooth.... his head naturally bobs up an down, and he has these cute little grunts.

Should I be worried? He does that whether I'm bareback or tacked up.

I'm a very light person so I know that's not the prob- and he's very strong.

Casey02 12-29-2012 03:48 PM

My gelding "sings" to be too hahaha, I mean for like 2 minutes straight then hes ok after that

stevenson 12-29-2012 03:50 PM

I have a horse that used to blow through his 'false' nostrils. I think he did it to scare the rider. then I think he did it to pacify himself. Your horse could have an old injury to his throat or larynx, or he just likes the noise and is pacifying himslef

corgi 12-29-2012 03:51 PM

Hubby's TWH does it too! We also call it "singing". It cracks us up. We were concerned at first but the owner we lease him from says he has done it since he was very young. He is 26 years old now.

Horsecrazy4ever 12-29-2012 03:54 PM

oh- thank goodness it's nothing to worry about!

I'll let him grunt away. It's too cute. lol

RunSlideStop 12-29-2012 03:57 PM

Could also just be him breathing out with a little force, like when tennis players grunt when they hit the ball. Horses are funny creatures! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 12-29-2012 03:59 PM

My friends foxtrotter does that too. She also whistles when she's laying down in her stall. Still haven't figured out how she whistles.
Posted via Mobile Device

Klassic Superstar 12-29-2012 04:01 PM

Olive does this too! He will go on and on and never fails to make both my trainer and stop and laugh! You should have heard the clinician I rode feign a few times this summer....I had to remind him I had an ear price in and him laughing so loud hurt my ear!

nvr2many 12-29-2012 04:09 PM

We call it their motor! Usually done when cantering, but is sounds funny, you can hear us coming.

gypsygirl 12-30-2012 10:22 AM

my mare does ! the vet said she would outgrow it, 3.5years later and she hasnt ! my trainer says shes just whining ;)