The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Has anyone used peroxide on a white tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/has-anyone-used-peroxide-white-tail-148108/)

Duren 12-29-2012 05:50 PM

Has anyone used peroxide on a white tail?

My palomino got her tail bag off and now its gross! Mud and urine stains galore! I've tried oxyclean, baking soda pastes, whitening shampoos (blue and purple) and its still dingy looking. I was thinking about trying hydrogen peroxide, but before I try it I was wondering if anyone else has dose that before. I'm afraid of turning the hair yellow.

jaydee 12-29-2012 06:09 PM

I did try it with no real effect - I think it did make the tail look 'yellow'
We used something called Greased Lightning - a kitchen cleaner/stain remover and that had a pretty good effect but you have to be very careful not to get it on the dock
I also found that using the detanglers made the discolouring on her tail worse - they leave a residue on the tail that seems to absorb stains

Red Cedar Farm 12-29-2012 06:12 PM

Our neighbor, who was big in to WP, would use Shout on her pally's manes, tails, and white markings.

drafts4ever 12-29-2012 07:42 PM

I use Orvus and Simple Green. I've tried peroxide and it didn't do anything. I dumped about a gallon on her tail and even soaked it in a bucket with no effect other than it smelling terrible after.

Cowgirl140ty 12-29-2012 08:05 PM

I use orvus and bleach. Any my guy has a beautiful whit tail!
Posted via Mobile Device

CCH 12-29-2012 08:12 PM

The biggest thing with keeping hair white is to moisturize. Dry hair sucks up stains and they are very tough to get out. I have never used any household cleaners or peroxide and never would. If I can't put it on my skin, I don't put it in my horse.

Warm water is also very key to getting stains out. Once you get the hair clean, you need to spray it every day or couple of days with a moisturizing leave-in (not show sheen!)
Posted via Mobile Device

Sahara 12-29-2012 08:33 PM

Goop hand cleaner at walmart. cheap and it works.

Duren 12-29-2012 09:57 PM

Thanks guys!

I've never heard of Orvus....where do I get it and what is it?

COWCHICK77 12-29-2012 10:44 PM

50 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duren (Post 1820000)
Thanks guys!

I've never heard of Orvus....where do I get it and what is it?

You should find it in any livestock supply store. Make sure you look in the cattle section if its not in the horse department.
That's what I use to wash my horses. I started using when showing market steers in 4H and FFA.

drafts4ever 12-30-2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl140ty (Post 1819818)
I use orvus and bleach. Any my guy has a beautiful whit tail!
Posted via Mobile Device

Just regular bleach? Does it work? I was worried it would turn her tail yellow so I've never tried but I have a gallon of it. Do you dilute it?