The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Approx. age by teeth? Unable to read tattoo (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/approx-age-teeth-unable-read-tattoo-148110/)

kindredspirit 12-29-2012 04:55 PM

Approx. age by teeth? Unable to read tattoo

I am looking at this horse and I'm not exactly an expert on guessing age by looking at the teeth. I was told that the horse is maybe 14 at oldest. I have an inkling, but maybe she's older?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps8bd41ccd.jpg

She's a STB but I cannot read her tattoo by any means.
Bonus points if you can at least figure out the first letter of her tattoo

riccil0ve 12-29-2012 05:03 PM

I'd say more like 20. His Galvayne's Groove is running down the entire tooth, typical of a 20 year old. At 15, it should only be running from the gum half way down, leaving the bottom half "un-groved."
Posted via Mobile Device

Red Cedar Farm 12-29-2012 05:09 PM

She's at least 20. riccil0ve is correct.

Wallaby 12-29-2012 05:12 PM

I would say between 15 and 20. Do you happen to have a side shot of the teeth? The angle of the teeth could tell us more - a very young horse will have very up and down teeth but as the horse ages, their teeth will begin to "buck" out.

The Galvayne's groove is only accurate to a point. For instance, my mare's groove is totally gone - indicating she's over 30 - but in reality she's actually only almost 28 (she could even be 25, if the age on her sale paper is wrong and what her previous owner verbally told me was right - I choose to go with the sale papers though).

Here's a link with showing several horses that, according to their grooves, are much younger than they are actually:

Galvayne's Groove In Horses: Photos

But yeah, in any case, I would be seriously surprised if this horse was under 15.

kindredspirit 12-29-2012 05:17 PM

I had a haunch....thanks guys! I was looking for something younger, so I'll have to write the person back (and let her know that the horse is older than advertised).

Saddlebag 12-30-2012 12:36 PM

I thought the first letter was a J

Red Cedar Farm 12-30-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1820619)

You can SEE that? Lordy, my eyes don't work well enough to make the tattoo out from the lip freckles! LOL!

Trinity3205 12-31-2012 01:03 AM

ok I have fiddled around with this in photoshop ALOT trying to glean out what I could. I think we are only seeing remnants of three numbers/letter and there is a missing figure or two. This is a STB you said? Dont they typically have a letter and four numbers? The tattoo looks crooked also, not uncommon IME.

Here is what I have gleaned as best I could with several photoshop layers. I could be WAY wrong but IMO its as close a guess as you might get with this one photo. What I would do is start searching horses matching her description with letters close to this and see if you can get a match that way if you really want to know. If you can provide more teeth pictures, we could narrow age down alot better. One front shot wont tell enough to make a real educated guess. we need to see the wear surface of the top and bottom nippers and a side shot for angle.

Hope this helps!

Appears to be a 4 possibly a 7 and then a 6 or 8. I saw no other remnants of tattoo but there could be further to the horse left under the hand there.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...psf642598c.jpg

Trinity3205 12-31-2012 01:19 AM

The 4 could also be an X which would make this horse a 2001 model. I see no hint of tattoo before it but I have seen some that had faded almost completely away before so...who knows lol... If its an X tho, its not a hard search if you have some white markings to work with.

TheRoundPen 12-31-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1820619)

If it is a J, I believe it would make her 1990. It would match up on her teeth too.