The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique On Rider-Flating (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-rider-flating-148140/)

LiveJumpLove 12-29-2012 07:52 PM

Critique On Rider-Flating

This is me riding my 6 year Old TB mare. This is older footage.
Sorry bad quality, just trotting not the best ride,
but tell me what you think!:-)
Do you guys think I'm a good rider?

LiveJumpLove 12-29-2012 10:28 PM

Anyone? :/

LiveJumpLove 12-30-2012 02:55 PM

Anyone have any critique for this?

xJumperx 12-30-2012 03:32 PM

You are a good rider :) I'd say stretch up a bit, you are tipped forward. I can't see your heels well, but make sure they are sunk into the ground!! Pick up your hands just a tad, as well. You do have nice, solid legs, and I like how high you come out of the saddle!

Ray MacDonald 12-30-2012 04:16 PM

Your leg could be a bit more back and you are tipped a little forward. Try raising your hands a little, it will make you sit back a little.

LiveJumpLove 12-30-2012 06:27 PM

Thanks guys! Ya my legs need to go back more I'm working on that! Thanks again!

Shropshirerosie 12-30-2012 08:51 PM

You are really tipped forward, I don't quite understand why you're riding like that - is this how your instructor encourages you to sit?

I would like to see a straight line down from your head to your hip to your heel; at the moment your bottom is sticking out back, and your head and shoulders are pushed way forward. If you can achieve that position your rising in the trot should be a lot quieter with a lot less motion on your part. I always think about the trot that you should be making minimal effort (or look like it anyway), and that way could trot across the countryside for hours without exhaustion.

I think your toes are pointing out "penguin feet" but it's a bit hard to tell on this video?

Finally, I would like to see the horse rushing less, collecting more, and getting his back legs under him more to properly engage the engine.

LiveJumpLove 12-30-2012 09:39 PM

No. My instructor does not encourage me to ride like that, as I said that was old footage, now I don't ride forward like that anymore. My horse was spunky that day and she really wanted to just go. No I didn't have penguin feet, I know I'm too forward but you make it sound as if I'm in two point. I'm not that forward in this video, and I just wanted rider critique not horse critique as I know what I need to do with my horse. I agree with you on how my legs need to be back and my head hip heel needs to be lined up. Didn't want to start a fight. You might think that I just want it to be candy coated and but I don't I just don't like how you worded it. I wanted to see what people say about my riding as I don't have a current video so I used that one. Again just didn't want to start a fight. Please don't word it like that.

Shropshirerosie 12-31-2012 12:58 AM

OP I was replying to your original post which was asking for critique on your riding. The previous two posters had already told you that you are a good rider so I didn't feel a need to repeat it again! I merely gave you an honest response with my thoughts on what I see.

I don't think I attempted to start a fight and I have no idea what it is that you want me to word differently.

Cheyennes mom 12-31-2012 03:45 AM

You're leaning forward a lot and you need to bring your hands up off his neck more. I'm guilty of BOTH these things lol How I'm trying to break my habit is to bring my shoulders back and down and to slow down my horse while working on this...leaning forward makes your horse go faster so slowing down makes it easier to sit back and relax. As for the hands, try and visualize a straight line from your elbow down the rein to where the rein connects to the horse's bit. There shouldn't be a break, the line should be straight. At least that's what I'm told :) That's been working for me :) Otherwise you look good, I like how you post, you don't seem to be pushing yourself out of the saddle and you don't seem delayed either, good work, keep it up :)