The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Another question.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/another-question-148144/)

Muppetgirl 12-29-2012 09:22 PM

Another question....

Again I reiterate, I am a color know-nothing:

Ok, new horse arrived at barn....is just in transit, so haven't met owners to be....here is its coloring,

Darker dun coloring, dark wide dorsal stripe, near black mane and tail, black points - however they don't run right up to the hocks, they are dispersed with dun on upper portions.....also here is the kicker - he has a large portion of black hair across his face - over the bridge of his nose and under his eyes....

He's a neat looking horse, how would you label his coloring?

I would have immediately have said he was a dun, then on closer inspection may have said smokey dun.....anyone??

CLaPorte432 12-29-2012 09:25 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Pictures would help. :-)

My guess is that hes dun, but has sooty characteristics. But no way to tell without seeing him. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 12-29-2012 09:41 PM

Thanks, I'd love to post pics, but it's not my horse and I have yet to figure out how to posts pics on here using my iPad!!!!! Lol!

Hmmm maybe I will google search a horse that looks near identical and post it her:-)

Peppy Barrel Racing 12-29-2012 09:51 PM

Sounds like some sort of dun the dark hairs on the face are probably masking and cobwebbing which are Dun traits. But a pic would definitely help. And the way I post pics with my iPad is with IMG codes from photobucket if you want to do that :-).

Muppetgirl 12-29-2012 09:54 PM

Ok....I just went to Dun central! It's seems that he is for sure a brown dun!

It's a very pleasing color and shading to look at, I must say so........note to self on my bucket list: must own a brown dun and a cremello......:lol:

Muppetgirl 12-29-2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1819992)
Sounds like some sort of dun the dark hairs on the face are probably masking and cobwebbing which are Dun traits. But a pic would definitely help. And the way I post pics with my iPad is with IMG codes from photobucket if you want to do that :-).

Ok, photobucket here I come!!! LOL! Next time I see something 'neat' I will post for sure! Thanks!