The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Questions about Wrapping Tails???? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/questions-about-wrapping-tails-148170/)

shaggy 12-30-2012 02:07 AM

Questions about Wrapping Tails????

My horses are killing me with the burrs being in their manes and tails every time I'm out there. So I've thinking I might wrap their tails. Shaggy has had his wrapped before when I first got him but I didnt know any better when the ex trainers daughter did it, that it got left in to long. About 6 weeks I think too long. Resulted in a big messy knot that took a whole bottle of cowboy magic and two days to get out. So I'm a little leery of wrapping again but I at this point a big normal knot would be so much better than a big knot of burrs. I have some questions tho that maybe you guys can help me with.

1.Is there a proper way to wrap it? (Before we just Braided the tail and wrapped vet wrap around it.)

2. Does it really help the mane grow out? (the ex trainer told me it did but I've been questioning everything she ever told me for a while now lol)

3.How long should I leave it wrapped? 1 week? 2 weeks? Longer than that?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-30-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1820307)

1.Is there a proper way to wrap it? (Before we just Braided the tail and wrapped vet wrap around it.)

2. Does it really help the mane grow out? (the ex trainer told me it did but I've been questioning everything she ever told me for a while now lol)

3.How long should I leave it wrapped? 1 week? 2 weeks? Longer than that?

I braid and wrap with GuardTex and I take the tail down once a week to finger comb, then rebraid and re-wrap. Once a month, I shampoo lightly and deep oil condition, then braid and wrap again. IF you can keep a tail bag in the horse's tail, that's a lot less work and less expensive than GuardTex or Vet Wrap. I probably have 20 tail bags in my pastures.....bags work better for me if they're stalled or in a paddock all by themselves.

Do the same with the mane, put a bunch of braids in, I use rubber bands, and take them down once a week, finger comb them, re-braid.

I don't think it does anything to grow the mane or tail out especially, it does protect them from breaking because they aren't catching on things or being chewed on by other horses.

shaggy 12-30-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1820323)
I braid and wrap with GuardTex and I take the tail down once a week to finger comb, then rebraid and re-wrap. Once a month, I shampoo lightly and deep oil condition, then braid and wrap again. IF you can keep a tail bag in the horse's tail, that's a lot less work and less expensive than GuardTex or Vet Wrap. I probably have 20 tail bags in my pastures.....bags work better for me if they're stalled or in a paddock all by themselves.

Do the same with the mane, put a bunch of braids in, I use rubber bands, and take them down once a week, finger comb them, re-braid.

I don't think it does anything to grow the mane or tail out especially, it does protect them from breaking because they aren't catching on things or being chewed on by other horses.

Thanks for the reply Dreamcatcher! I thought about tail bags too and then I thought Tail bag plus ADD morgan horses = bad idea lol I might still get some tho are tail bags expensive?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 12-30-2012 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggy (Post 1820326)
Thanks for the reply Dreamcatcher! I thought about tail bags too and then I thought Tail bag plus ADD morgan horses = bad idea lol I might still get some tho are tail bags expensive?

No, tail bags are a lot less expensive over time, than vet wrap or Guard Tex, IF you can keep it attached.

Guard Tex Leg/Tail Wrap White in New Arrivals: Foal Wear & Accessories at Schneider Saddlery

Guard Tex is really sticky and I've never had a tail come down with it. I've had Vet Wrap come undone.

Dura-Tech® Waterproof/Breathable Tail Bag in Tail Bags / Protection at Schneider Saddlery

These are the bags I use if I don't have the horse out with other horses. They seem to like to pull on 'em and play tag with them and I lost a bag a day when I put them out to pasture in them.

shaggy 12-30-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1820340)
No, tail bags are a lot less expensive over time, than vet wrap or Guard Tex, IF you can keep it attached.

Guard Tex Leg/Tail Wrap White in New Arrivals: Foal Wear & Accessories at Schneider Saddlery

Guard Tex is really sticky and I've never had a tail come down with it. I've had Vet Wrap come undone.

Dura-Tech® Waterproof/Breathable Tail Bag in Tail Bags / Protection at Schneider Saddlery

These are the bags I use if I don't have the horse out with other horses. They seem to like to pull on 'em and play tag with them and I lost a bag a day when I put them out to pasture in them.

Humm prices aren't bad all I might have to order some! Something tells with 24/7 turn out they may not make long tho lol

HollyBubbles 12-30-2012 04:32 AM

I keep my tb bagged in summer, I have one that velcros to his cover, but you can get ones that loop through the top of a tail braid and others i guess, but The tail bag he had on was not going anywhere, it had velcro on top and bottom at the top of the tail flap on his cover :) It helped a lot, and he is paddocked with another horse and they play around a lot and scratch each other but so far I havent lost it

franknbeans 12-30-2012 06:36 AM

I wrap every winter for snowballs and mud. I brush and condition (no silicone) the tail, start with the middle of the sheeting strip under the tail (below the bone of course), and braid the sheet in with the sections (2 sections will have sheeting, one will not. Braid all the way down, tie it off at the end, and then bring the ends of the fabric strip up through the top of the braid, folding the tail up (keeping everything below the bone). TIe it up, then wrap the whole thing with Vetwrap. I leave mine in at least a couple months. I live out of town in the winter, so I am not there to redo it all the time, but even my BO leaves her horses in maybe redoing once during the winter. We have never had an issue with it matting, etc. Comes out fine.

natisha 12-30-2012 11:26 AM

I'd remove the burrs from the pasture.

franknbeans 12-30-2012 07:16 PM

Yup-that too. Cut them down. and next year catch them before they get to that point. My BO was too slow for me a few years ago, so I did it myself after asking a couple of times, I just told her I was dealing with it.

shaggy 12-30-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1820525)
I'd remove the burrs from the pasture.

believe me I've been trying too! once i finally found the plant I started pulling on every time i found them lol unfortunately i not able to cover the whole field.