The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How do you wash your blankets and saddle pads? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-do-you-wash-your-blankets-148186/)

hberrie 12-30-2012 11:14 AM

How do you wash your blankets and saddle pads?

I obviously don't want to wash them at home and the laundry mat probably wont appreciate it. I thought about the quarter car wash, but then how do I transport them soaking wet? What do you guys do?

nvr2many 12-30-2012 11:23 AM

Have not done my blankets yet, but took my saddle pads to the car wash. I have a truck so put them in the back to bring home to hang dry. The high pressure and soap was awesome!

waresbear 12-30-2012 11:24 AM

I have a front loader washing machine & that is what I wash them in, does an excellent job. After the blankets, I run an empty cycle with just bleach, never been a problem. Before I got the front loader, I would lay the blankets out on the lawn and spray them down with a pressure washer & soap, then hang them up on the clothesline and spray them with a hose. That works good too.

riccil0ve 12-30-2012 11:28 AM

Western or English saddle pads? English I was at home. It's a washing machine, you still wash extremely disgusting dishes in the sink and your horribly filthy self in the shower, it's not any different.

A thick Western, I would just spray with soapy water at the barn and use a stiff brush to scrub, then spray with water until it runs clear.

Blankets, you either have to find a laundromat who allows horse blankets, or a blanket washing service. If you can't find/afford one and it's too big for a home washer, I'd do the same thing as a western saddle pad.

hberrie 12-30-2012 11:38 AM

Thanks for your input. I guess I will wash my English pads at home. I just hate the thought of all that dirt and horse hair in my washing machine. I have a top loader. Does this make a difference?

waresbear 12-30-2012 11:54 AM

Yes, top loaders can't handle a load like that & don't do a good job either. I tried once, the machine started banging as the blanket bunched up to one side, I re-adjusted it several times. Then when it was done, there was dirt creases still on the blanket. Front loaders spin way, way faster, never bunch up a load, use less water but get things much cleaner.

Saddlebag 12-30-2012 12:21 PM

If your blanket has waterproofing then no laundry soap but use something like Wool Ite. It seems to me there is a blanket wash designed for horse blankets. I wash a lot of stuff in a big plastic tub set in the bathtub and use a $5 toilet sink plunger as an agitator. I fill the plastic tub with barely warm water and Wool Ite, throw the item in, plunge up and down a few times and let it soak for a while. I'll then plunge lots, getting a good workout, and dump the water. Check for horsehair clogging the top of the drain. Rinse and hang to dry.

Dustbunny 12-30-2012 12:23 PM

I hang them over a wooden rail and take the hose to them. If they are very soiled I soak them and use a stiff scrub brush on the worst spots.
I don't want to use any detergents that could leave a residue and cause any reaction on the horse's skin. Clear water only and they drip dry.

amberly 12-30-2012 12:29 PM

What I did is just sprayed it down. Then I put just dishwater soap on them and rinsed them off again. Then I hung them to dry over a fence. It worked pretty good.

Chevaux 12-30-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1820523)
... I would lay the blankets out on the lawn and spray them down with a pressure washer & soap, then hang them up on the clothesline and spray them with a hose...

I also have had good success with that technique. An alternative one I use in the winter months (that handles both saddle pads and house rugs) is to wait for a fresh snow fall then put the pad (or rug) on the snow, dirty side down. Next, wearing clean boots, I walk around on top of it for a minute or two then move it to another new spot. I repeat this a few times. Afterwards, it's hung inside the barn or basement to dry off. This one is not quite as good as a lawn wash but it does a passable job.