The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Best draft breed for riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/best-draft-breed-riding-148187/)

jillybean19 12-30-2012 12:11 PM

Best draft breed for riding?

If, someday in the far distant future, I decided I could afford to have another horse or two, I've always fancied riding a draft horse. I may even get into driving, but I would probably mostly ride this horse. What is a good draft breed for being under saddle? I would want one that could do trails, responsive (though I've heard they're a little more dull to cues), and have a little agility. I've actually seen quite a few drafts do low jumps, which I thought looked so cool.

Right now, the chances of me ever getting a draft would be low, so I'm not really asking whether or not this is a good idea. Just - which drafts tend to do best under saddle and for what disciplines?

Houston 12-30-2012 12:26 PM

No expert here, but I've seen Percheron being ridden. Check out this blog of someone who does eventing with her's!
The Jumping Percheron

Out of the draft breeds, I have personally seen more of these than any other breed being ridden, though I've heard of a few Belgians and Clydesdale. There are also draft-crosses to consider!

Oldhorselady 12-30-2012 12:30 PM

Lots of threads, as of late, on this topic! It's not the zombies that are coming, it's the drafties!!

I LOVE my percheron! Perfect manners, temperment and trail horse.

jillybean19 12-30-2012 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Percheron was actually what I was thinking. I had the opportunity to get one last year and absolutely loved him, but he hadn't been ridden in 4-5 years and was as good as unbroken, and I found I was too nervous to take on a horse that big at that time. But, those big black withers clearing my head has always stuck in my mind and I'd love to have one like him someday! I believe he was 17.2 hands and made me feel like a little kid! Here's my favorite pic...

jillybean19 12-30-2012 12:50 PM

Oooh eventing with a percheron looks so cool!

Oldhorselady 12-30-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean19 (Post 1820640)
Oooh eventing with a percheron looks so cool!

Yes, whenever we show up somewhere....the best part is watching the mouths drop open with awe!

Oldhorselady 12-30-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean19 (Post 1820628)
Percheron was actually what I was thinking. I had the opportunity to get one last year and absolutely loved him, but he hadn't been ridden in 4-5 years and was as good as unbroken, and I found I was too nervous to take on a horse that big at that time. But, those big black withers clearing my head has always stuck in my mind and I'd love to have one like him someday! I believe he was 17.2 hands and made me feel like a little kid! Here's my favorite pic...

Gorgeous boy! I acquired my percheron when she was 16 years old, never ridden. I was starting my 40's and only owned horses for 5 years. With her, I basically jumped on and that was it. Easy mamma. Only thing she every does, if turn her big neck in the direction 'she' wants to go, instead of the way 'I' want her to go and argues. I just stay firm, and she will go. She may breathe heavy when startled while riding or seeing something she is unsure of. That's about it. I call her the 'No Drama Mamma'.

Oldhorselady 12-30-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillybean19 (Post 1820628)
I believe he was 17.2 hands and made me feel like a little kid! Here's my favorite pic...

She doesn't look big to me anymore...lol.

PercheronPines 12-30-2012 01:53 PM

Percherons! The arabian bloodline keeps them a little more finer boned therefor allowing for greater agility and ability under saddle. It's also what gives them a bit more fire than other draft breeds and keeps the rider more interested and engaged. Stick with more of the new age breed percherons versus the older baroque style. You'll appreciate the greater dexterity and ease of tack fitting. Lady and I take on any trail and best of all, if there's something blocking the trail, she's big enough to either jump it or push it out of the way.

Oldhorselady 12-30-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PercheronPines (Post 1820709)
Percherons! The arabian bloodline keeps them a little more finer boned therefor allowing for greater agility and ability under saddle. It's also what gives them a bit more fire than other draft breeds and keeps the rider more interested and engaged. Stick with more of the new age breed percherons versus the older baroque style. You'll appreciate the greater dexterity and ease of tack fitting. Lady and I take on any trail and best of all, if there's something blocking the trail, she's big enough to either jump it or push it out of the way.

Yeah, my mamma must be the old version....that's ok, because so am I! She's perfect for me, big, slow and forgiving.