The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   My point of view, you may look at it differently, but this is how I look at it. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/my-point-view-you-may-look-148189/)

amberly 12-30-2012 12:27 PM

My point of view, you may look at it differently, but this is how I look at it.

Ok, To begin with, I read a post about English jumping, and the person said that Someone would not be able to help her with jumping because they don't know anything about jumping because they are Western.
Just because we are western, does not mean that we don't know anything about English riding. Both of my horses have jumped over stuff before, with and without riders. It was also in a western saddle.
So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, just because we ride western, or you ride English, doesn't mean that I don't know anything about English, or you don't know anything about Western.
This is my point of view, so it's not right, and it's not wrong - but it is both my opinion, and for a lot of people, facts.
I can post. I can Jump. I can do lots of things.
Again, my point of view, so please don't start any arguments - everyone is entitled to their opinion.

BornToRun 12-30-2012 12:37 PM

JMHO but I think you may be jumping the gun here. You don't know anything about this persons riding stable, maybe these people really don't know anything about jumping, it's not that uncommon. I used to ride at a dressage stable that knew nothing about western riding. Yes, a lot of people know many disciplines, but quite a few people only stick to one and don't want to branch out to others, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! I honestly don't think that thread was made to insult any western riders. I for one wasn't insulted. I ride western and I ride English too, but who cares? Take pride in the fact that you are educated in more than one discipline, but just remember what they say about assuming.

GoAppendix 12-30-2012 12:42 PM

Everyone can have an opinion. Those opinions can still be wrong.

poppy1356 12-30-2012 12:44 PM

Just because you can do those things doesn't mean you can do them correctly. Chances are you did not have very good form over the jump in a western saddle. Was it a good jump on the horses part? Just because they can jump doesn't mean they are good at it. There is big difference in disciplines if they are done correctly.

I'm an english rider, I can ride western too but put me in a western pleasure class and I'm bound to fail miserably because I don't know the details.

JustDressageIt 12-30-2012 12:46 PM

In my opinion, it is unsafe and unfair for someone that has only a Western background attempt to try to teach someone how to jump. Sure, you (*note* the term "you" is being used universally in this post, not towards a specific person!) may be able to help with some basics that are common ground between English and Western disciplines/styles, but (and I apologize if I come across as "snooty" here) you don't know how to safely jump an obstacle in an English saddle... let alone a course. It doesn't translate well.
I don't know the first thing about teaching a horse how to do a sliding stop. I am sure I might be able to stumble through the basics and maybe get some semblence of a sliding stop from a horse, but I'm also very confident that I wouldn't be doing it the best way possible, *and* I would greatly increase the chances of the horse and/or myself getting injured. Doing a sliding stop requires a ton of balance, muscle and conditioning. It's extremely hard on the joints. Why would I want to endanger my horse for the sake of my pride being able to say "I can do a sliding stop!" ?
Beyond that, why would it be prudent for another hunter/jumper/dressage rider to try to teach me how to do said sliding stop? None of us know how to properly teach or execute a sliding stop... Why, when I can get help from someone who knows exactly what they're talking about, would I ever consult with someone who's just guessing along with me?
Same with jumping. It's dangerous. Period. Why on Earth would you want to take a chance with that? Just as I wouldn't consult another hunter/jumper to "teach" me how to do a sliding stop, I would never think to turn to a Reiner to teach me how to jump.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 12-30-2012 12:52 PM

Might get in hot water for this, but...

Just because you and/or your horse have "jumped stuff here and there" in a western saddle DOES NOT mean you know anything about proper English jumping. The way you sit the saddle, the way you are positioned over a jump, keeping your lower leg solid...all these things are different between jumping in an English saddle and maybe popping over a crossrail or an overturned barrel in a western saddle.

I wouldn't hire a western trainer to teach me to jump and I wouldn't hire a jumping trainer to teach me western pleasure...so why would I seek help over something so technical as jumping from someone who does not ride discipline?
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 12-30-2012 01:09 PM

I can ride Western and English
I have been taught both by instructors and my cousins

oh vair oh 12-30-2012 01:16 PM

I ride predominantly western.

However my mother used to do hunter-jumpers at A rated shows for many years. Taught me how to ride english and jump a little when I was younger.

I tried out for my school's jumping equestrian team with nothing but "shows western pleasure" on my resume. Everyone sort of snickered at me when we were asked to try the horses over the jumps (in english tack and all). I went over the first two keeping everything my mom had taught me in mind. They asked me to join the advanced team on the spot, and I declined because it was too expensive.

So, sometimes people may surprise you with what they know...

JustDressageIt 12-30-2012 01:21 PM

OVO, you were taught by an experienced horseperson. You have practical experience. You're not a Western rider that has never sat in an English saddle nor jumped before nor are you without formal training. Apples to oranges there, my dear :)
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 12-30-2012 01:24 PM

Oh that's what this is about? Haha. Nevermind.