The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Health (/horse-health/)
-   -   What are Articular Surfaces? (

jdrm 12-30-2012 01:31 PM

What are Articular Surfaces?
I was wondering if anyone could explain what articular surfaces are on horses .thanks

NorthernMama 12-30-2012 02:16 PM

The way I understand it:
Articular - think of articulation -- where there is movement, therefore at a joint

So the articular surface is the surface area of the joints where the movement occurs. Whether in horses, people, or machines.

Cherie 12-31-2012 03:33 PM

The articular surface is the part of the bone that is located inside the joint. It usually has cartilage on the bone end and the surface is lubricated with joint fluid. It is here that arthritic changes take place and interfere with smooth 'pain free' movement of the joint in question.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome