The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Keeps picking up wrong lead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/keeps-picking-up-wrong-lead-148214/)

SaddleGirl 12-30-2012 05:47 PM

Keeps picking up wrong lead

My Gelding and I have been working aimlessly at his lope for a month so far. He'll pick it up on command now and he's at the speed of a canter. However, in the last few days his leads have been awful. He keeps picking up the wrong lead. He use to pick it up no problem in his strong direction (counter clockwise) and occasionally pick the wrong one up in his weak direction (clockwise). In the last few days he has been picking up the wrong leads in both directions. I'll bring him down promptly to a trot and continue to try again, but it seems to take him nearly half a dozen times to pick up the right lead. I'll turn his head to the inside, use my outside leg, and a circle or a corner but it doesn't seem to help. He doesn't have problems with his leads on the lunge line until he is tired.

Any suggestions?

waresbear 12-30-2012 05:50 PM

First check your position, then check your tack, then check for pain. It's one of those 3.

SaddleGirl 12-30-2012 06:07 PM

I was thinking it might be my weight that's setting him off. Would I be leaning into the circle to throw him off?

waresbear 12-30-2012 06:35 PM

You might be, you should be centered after you cue for the lead. Maybe think about keeping your weight on the outside hind leg and have someone on the ground watch your position in case your leaning or twisted.
Posted via Mobile Device

spurstop 12-30-2012 08:07 PM

Pulling his head to the inside is going to push his shoulder and hip to the outside if you aren't supporting him properly with your legs, so you would be making it difficult to put him on the correct lead.

Sitting to the outside, staying back in your shoulder, and pushing into the canter from your leg and hip is something you may want to work on.

beau159 12-30-2012 08:08 PM

Definately helpful to have someone watch from the ground.

Besides tack, the rider, or pain, I just always want to add that he may just be having a regression in learning ... which is somewhat normal!! Sometimes when learning new things, the horse will do awesome for a certain time period, and then all of a sudden act like they never learned it at all. It happens. He'll come back around (provided there not a tack issue, or pain, or a rider issue that is causing it).