The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Natural Horsemanship Mentor/Mentee (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/natural-horsemanship-mentor-mentee-148231/)

mmoses1979 12-30-2012 07:28 PM

Natural Horsemanship Mentor/Mentee

I am a teacher of children with severe special needs....I would never send a regular education teacher into my classroom (I have two very aggressive students) without any prior knowledge or experience....that being said, teachers have created a Mentor/Mentee program for new teachers...I feel that I am deeply connected to animals and have been my whole life. Because of my educational philosophy and my understanding of alternative therapies for children with special needs, I believe that horses have a great healing power.

I currently volunteer at a therapeutic riding center and have been since the beginning of June. For me this is not enough exposure to horses/horsemanship and daily care of horses to feel comfortable using the power of horses to bring out what humans cannot for some of the children with the most severe needs.

What I am really looking for is a mentor....I am willing to work for free, move anywhere, and have the monetary means to do this for as long as my mentor/teacher feels I am ready to comfortably work on a ranch and can say, "I am experienced with horses."

I am self-motivated and an extremely hard worker. I am mature 33/f and am following a feeling I have deep inside of me. I just need to be given the chance and a person who is willing to take me under his/her wing (and with the same philosophy of working with horses as I have)...I know it is a lot to ask...but as I said, I ask for no monetary compensation, no room and board, only knowledge, skills, someone I can call my mentor, and also help out on the barn/ranch at the same time.

I apologize for replying on this forum as I know that this belongs somewhere else, but the more people who see this the better (in my view). (as for how I view my work with horses as therapeutic, so if you cannot do it, but you know someone who does, please let me know....or let them know.

Happy New Year!

Maryanne Moses

tinyliny 12-30-2012 08:07 PM

Very interesting proposition. How can you manage to give up your job and work for no money? I guess that's none of my business.

I think one place to start would be to look at some books written by some of the trainers who DO use horses in therauputic treatment. There are two (or more) organizations that certify people to become equine therapists, or whatever they are called.

Or are you just wanting some regular ranch experience?

mmoses1979 12-30-2012 08:21 PM

RE: Post

I know of P.A.T.H. the international organization that certifies people to work with students with special needs...to best describe it...I am a city girl and I want to be a country mouse..I want to do it all...I want to learn ranch experience.

Right now I am not working as I am doing some consulting and a window has opened to explore this love of horses. it is hard to explain in words and also to develop a mentor/mentee relationship over the internet because no one knows anyone...but I am looking for advice...

Maybe the best way to say is...I do not feel that I can be an effective therapeutic instructor if I, myself do not have the sweat and tears of working on a regular ranch and working with all types of horses, horses of all ages, etc. (me personally becoming a rider and instructor apart from the special needs part).

Does that make sense?
m

Very interesting proposition. How can you manage to give up your job and work for no money? I guess that's none of my business.

I think one place to start would be to look at some books written by some of the trainers who DO use horses in therauputic treatment. There are two (or more) organizations that certify people to become equine therapists, or whatever they are called.

Or are you just wanting some regular ranch experience?[/QUOTE]

Northernstar 12-30-2012 08:24 PM

Maryanne, your passion for helping these poor children is tremendous! It truly takes a special person to be so willing. I may or may not be of any help - the previous owner of my Morgan was a natural horsemanship trainer for many years before her husband passed away, and I keep in touch with her from time to time. She may have some numbers/organizations filed away that I could obtain....may take a little while as she's now working two jobs currently, but I'll try. Where are you located? We're in N MI..... If you don't mind my asking, however, do you and/or have you any idea of how much grueling physical work is involved with horses? I absolutely do not mean that in a sarcastic way - just as one who knows, and there are many who have owned horses for far longer than I. I'm a Naturalist, so I hike trails and do nature study for a living, and am not afraid of rugged environments. I'm only mentioning this to hope that you'll fully realise the work involved - rain, snow, sleet, hail, etc.... I sincerely love your goal, and am a believer in reaching goals!!! :)

mmoses1979 12-30-2012 08:30 PM

RE: Former Morgan Owner

I am located of course in the worst possible area for horse country...MA....but like I wrote...I am willing to travel anywhere to get the experience I need....even if it is not natural horsemanship..thank you so much for offering to help. I completely understand that my request is not a small feat.

M

tinyliny 12-30-2012 08:51 PM

When you come to part of exchaning personal info like emails and phone numbers, do it via private message, ok?

wish I could just up and go work on a ranch for awhile. but I am far too lazy.

mmoses1979 12-30-2012 09:03 PM

RE:Personal Info

glad you had time to write a post...thanks!

franknbeans 12-30-2012 09:04 PM

You might try going to some of the specific sites of the NH trainers who interest you the most (ie PP, CA, CC, JL) and looking at their certified instructors. I would then email them and ask if any of them is looking for someone to help them in this capacity. Sort of an intern. I know we had one (who actually worked for $$ and became PP certified and left to become an instructor on her own) at a farm I was at in VA. That farm actually had 3 interns when I was there. It happened to be a PP certified BO. That would be where I would start. As a person who owns a horse who is free leased for a therapy horse, I appreciate your interest, but not all therapeutic horses are NH trained. Mine is not, altho the Bm at the facility he is at is a PP person. He looks at you like you have 5 heads when you use PP on him.

Pegasus1 12-31-2012 06:11 AM

Have a look at this program which has just been set up by Parelli

Parelli Horsemanship Fund - 1st Milestone and Pledge

Half way down the page is the following statement

The Parelli Horsemanship Fund pledges to sponsor and support four main causes:
1. Youth Programs
2. Educational Scholarships for students and aspiring Parelli Professionals
3. Horse Rescue Centers
4. Therapeutic Horsemanship & ParaEquestrian Riding

Number 4 seems to be you area of interest. Might be worth checking out.

FaydesMom 12-31-2012 09:29 PM

There are many organizations that work with therapeutic riding. Most of them are in need of more volunteers. Try an internet search for "Therapeutic Riding Centers" and call and ask. They will train you in how to work with the horses used in those types of programs. There is really no need to get the "whole ranch experience" if all you are wanting to do is work with therapy horses. It's night and day different.

I know of two right in my local area, which is pretty small town-ish, so if you look, you will be sure to find someplace who could use your help desperately.

I just googled "therapeutic riding ma" and got the following immediately:

1. Greenlock Therapeutic Riding - greenlock.org
    (508) 252-5814 -

2. 2Healing With Horses... (5) -healingwithhorsesct.orgOpenstomorrow at 10:30 AM
    (860) 912-1557 -

3. 3Angels on Horseback... -angelsonhorsebackri.com
    (401) 539-6106 -

4. 4Lend A Hand Therapeutic Riding -lendahandhorsefarm.com
    (401) 826-9278 -

5. 5Angels on Horseback... - local.yahoo.com
    (401) 364-6106 -

46 More Local Results...