The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Should I try learning to jump? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/should-i-try-learning-jump-148237/)

horselover01 12-30-2012 07:54 PM

Should I try learning to jump?

I'm thinking about trying to learn to jump sometime soon but I'm now that familiar with the terms used in jumping so please explain a little. I've been riding English pleasure for a little over 8 years so I'm not really a novice rider but I've never jumped over anything besides a log on a trail ride, which was maybe a foot or a foot and a half tall. I have an eight year old appaloosa mare that is still green but I want to show her pleasure for about a two years before I try anything new on her, but I could be taking lessons while I show her pleasure.

I was also wondering what kind of confirmation is best for jumping. She is my other horse's daughter and she moves and is shaped a lot like her only she is build a little bigger and I have been told that my horse looks like he would be a good jumper. She is not spooky and she is very smart, the first time I rode her she had only been ridden four times bofore and she behaved great. Thanks! :-P

BigBenLoverforLife 12-31-2012 10:36 PM

2 Words, a trainer....

horselover01 01-02-2013 12:09 PM

Thanks! Well I think I know where I'm going to take lessons. I really like her horses and they always do good when they go to pleasure shows, plus she really like apps and thats what I have. :)

graceunderpressure 01-02-2013 09:55 PM

Jumping is a lot of fun, but you definitely want a trainer working with you, especially if you have never done it before. It's not my favorite discipline (it was when I was a kid, though!) but it can be quite a rush!

As for conformation, there are certainly things to keep in mind and your trainer can help with your horse's specifics. My horse is half app--very stocky and big and really short legs. Not exactly a great jumping mount but she LOVES it, so we do it from time to time. Her brother was similarly built, I hear, but he was a champion jumper so you just never know!

maggiesshowjumping 01-02-2013 10:22 PM

the one thing that stands out to me the most is your green horse. while that is great and all, one of you has got to know what your doing. so since jumping would be new to both of you I would suggest trying a lesson on a schoolmaster to teach you how to jump. if you want to jump I would encourage you to. I always wanted to jump, I started really jumping when I was 7 and I love it... I always have.
A good trainer will give you all you need to teach you and your horse to jump, but one of the two of you has got to have a little head start on the other. you can also free-jump your mare, that will proove if she will be a good jumper. you can look up "free jumping" on google and it will give you a good idea. its pretty easy to set up a single jump and then you just free lunge your mare over it. you want the angle between her chest and foreleg to make an angle 90degrees or less (that is generally considered safe with their legs so they dont hook a jump) her knees/legs should also be even. you will not be able to tell though if she is just going over a little X rail or something because they really just do a big stride over that. to tell the jumping style you really need to see the horse actually jump.
for further info feel free to message me with questions. or google. or George Morris (hes strict and old school but because of that his basis is really great) is a great person to read his crittiques... I still love doing that. you get to look at pictures people sent in of them jumping their horse and he goes over the riders position, the horses conformation and use of body, the horses grooming and their turnout (which I dont always agree with- I love neon!) but it is great to practice picking out flaws and then reading what he said... kinda like one of those games where you look at 2 pics and pick out the changes and then look at the answer key to see if you got them all...

horselover01 01-02-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks! My new horse is a little on the stocky side but her legs aren't too short so I'm hoping she will be good at jumping if she likes it. So far she it doing very well in training and she seems to like it though the first time I posted on her (the guy that is helping me train her rides western) she got confused so she stopped. lol. But now she is fine with me posting and she has a good trot, I'm hoping her canter will be as good as my other horse's.

My mom didn't want me to jump at first because she thought it was to dangerous but luckily she has changed her mind. Also is it ok if I use the same saddle for both pleasure and jumping, I have a Crosby XL.

horselover01 01-02-2013 10:30 PM

I will take lesson for probably around a year or two before I try to teach her so she won't be green then and I will know what to do. I'll try the free jumping when we finsh her training and I will definatly look up that guy sometime, I want to get as much background knowledge that I can so I don't sound like a complete beginner when I start taking lesson! Thanks!

verona1016 01-03-2013 05:40 PM

If you're interested, there's no reason not to. I'm teaching my horse to jump now while also re-learning myself (with the help of a trainer!) Even if you never plan on competing or going for the really big fences, it's great for a horse physically and mentally to do some cross training, and if you have some good jumping under your belt before you start your horse all the better!

lasso 01-03-2013 05:55 PM

jumping is alot of fun so if you are intrested than you should totaly do it.i agree with every one else you should get a trainer.