The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm researching bits.

3K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Vidaloco 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I've read similar articles about Tom Thumb bits. I've never used one and never will. I've always believed that less is more when it comes to a horses mouth and head. That shanked/leveraged snaffle action never made much sense to me.

#3 ·
I am learning that there is always something to learn. I have grown up with TT bits and always thought that they were a great all purpose bit. That's what I was taught. I'm not exactly an old dog yet but I sure am learning new tricks. :wink: I was wondering "why" my horses were'nt going the way I wanted them to. Guess I expect more from training than the previous owners did and I'm glad for mine and my horse's sake that I'm taking the time and the net to research a better way of going.

#4 ·
Hey Duma,
There is a book I just finished reading that changed my view on bits. Excellent and easy to read, I strongly recommend it. I read it in a day.
For the life of me I cannot remember what it is called. Its about miller bits but in covers information about all the current bits on the market, how they work, when to use them etc etc...I could not find a link online so if anyone knows which book I'm talking about, please post the name of the author and book itself.

I will be off work shortly so I will pull off my shelf and give the info :)

#5 ·
Sounds GREAT M2G!!! Thanks a ton! I would really appreciate you finding the title. I love a good informative read! :D

#7 ·
That's OK M2G. Just get to it when you remember. If this thread has slipped down, you can always PM me with the book title. :D

I mean.....HOW dare you have a life outside the forum!!! hehehehe :wink: :P :lol:

#8 ·
bits

Well well i see some more people are seeing the light on the tom thumb bits , I personally dont and will not use one but some people swear by them , Im always trying new bits to see what will work with my group of ponys , and so i have a bunch of them . and the very strange thing is i will try them but never ride in them, Since i have been useing hackmores and for the last few years have been rideing all my horses with a bitless system , I just cant make my self put that steel in there mouths to ride with . But all my horses are started with a bit usually a snaffle of the least harshness i can find . i do that so if i sell a horse to someone then they are use to a bit as well as bitless . All horses are not the easiest to train to ride with out a bit , My T W H mare is a big thing for me to work with out a bit because a lot of her cues to move out were taught to her with a long shank walking horse bit and i have a dilley of a time getting her to do what i need her to do with out a bit , she gets very mareish about it and i get to sweating trying to get her in to her gaits with out a bit at all . Somedays when she is feeling real perky it can be a very wild ride but i think she is starting to understand my way of going now with out the bit .

#9 ·
Dumas'_Grrrl said:
That's OK M2G. Just get to it when you remember. If this thread has slipped down, you can always PM me with the book title. :D
If you get the title let me know, I've been checking back for the name too.

My friend who is going to help me green break my baby's next year says I should start doing some bit work this fall/winter. I have a mullen mouth happymouth loose ring sort of thing I am going to try to start them with. I call it the hot dog bit, that's what it looks like. I've been trying to decide between it and just a plain snaffle. No riding just letting them hold it in their mouth sort of stuff.

#10 ·
bits

Hey Vida that is good way to start them . when i use the wood stick it is covered with hony and they wear it a while each day and when i start to put them in a real bridle i use a english type rubber bit not sure what they call it just a rubber thingy to me but i also coat it in hony and they seem to go to the bit real easy and both of my giddups let them chew and stuff to get use to wearing a bit before i start driveing them it seems to work real good for me. And if you want to lighten ur load of training you can send the one pretty baby you had pic of on here a while back to TN and ill work her her she is so pretty not to say all your horses arnt good looking but the one is just a flashey threat to my eyes hehehe hahaah good luck and god bless ya girl and your hubby and the ponys 1 and all Dave

#11 ·
Thanks for the tip Dave. That happymouth is a plastic/rubber sort of stuff and its suppose to be apple flavored. I like the honey idea, I'll do that too.
No way on my Pretty Saro. I had a fellow stop last week and ask if she was for sale. 2nd person to just pull in the yard and try to buy her. She is a sweet, willing girl too, just can't part with her I'm afraid. :D

#12 ·
I will post the title of the book once I find out. :D

Dave, (good to see you :wink: ) I love the Honey tip. Dumas used to be very hard to bridle. I coat the bit with honey and he now takes it willingly. It has really helped Dumas get over his head-shy business too.

Anyone else with great tips or bit info that you feel like sharing fire away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.