The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Pasture Sorting Clinic [pics] (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/pasture-sorting-clinic-%5Bpics%5D-148242/)

laurapratt01 12-30-2012 08:09 PM

Pasture Sorting Clinic [pics]

5 Attachment(s)
I took my horse to his first Pasture Sorting clinic...actually it was his first clinic and his first trip in the trailer since I got him. He was great. It ended up being more of an informal competition..I had never done it before so it was really exciting to get first place as a team and first place when we did one on one sorting. We had a blast! Can't wait until the next one :D Jack was so good at the clinic I've even forgiven him for his unique replication of "The Black Stallion" as he reared up a dozen times while I was trying to load him back onto the trailer to go home (so embarrassing.. I never thought I would be "that girl" with "that horse" at a show :P)... We will be practicing trailer loading over the next few months, that's for sure.
Here's some pics of my boy and me :)
Chasin' cows and holding my winnings at the end- a bag of shavings and a calendar :)

Casey02 12-30-2012 08:17 PM

I love the brown tack you have on him, it goes great with his color!

Congrats on first place too

mammakatja 12-30-2012 08:26 PM

I love your horse! Such a beautiful clean boy. I've forgotten what clean looks like after the weather we've had lately. Not often you see a practically white cow horse. It's like he's got a spot light on him in that pen. :) Good for you!

laurapratt01 12-30-2012 09:10 PM

Thanks Casey02! It's kind of new (used). Mamakatja, you have no idea what it means to me for you to tell me I have a clean horse! It's so cold here that I couldn't give him a bath and he was filthy...like, dirty enough that people might think I neglect him (even though I swear I brush him every day!). So I just tried to clean his really dirty spots...I ended up spending an hour scrubbing him. I was very proud of how clean he was when I was done. The next morning before the clinic I came out and he had laid in his poop.. there's a big ol' brown spot on the side you can't see in the pictures..haha. Gotta love the grays!

boots 12-30-2012 09:21 PM

He's a good looking horse and congratulations on the win. Very cool.

I'm a bit interested, since I sort in pastures frequently, is there a site that tells how this show sorting is scored?

WSArabians 12-30-2012 09:30 PM

Great pics! You guys look awesome! :)

Is that a Billy Cook saddle?

laurapratt01 12-31-2012 05:10 AM

Boots, to be quite honest with you I'm not really sure how it's scored... I think you get points for each cow you get across the line in the right order under the time limit and then if one sneaks in out of order your time stops and you get points for the ones you got across before and then if they "stampede" you don't get credit for any of the cows you got across... I would love it if someone more knowledgeable could share :) All I know is it was FUN!
WS Arabians, it's not a Billy Cook! It's a Dakota! And I'm in love with it! Such a great saddle for so little money!- I got it for $325 on Ebay :)

boots 12-31-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurapratt01 (Post 1821851)
Boots, to be quite honest with you I'm not really sure how it's scored... I think you get points for each cow you get across the line in the right order under the time limit and then if one sneaks in out of order your time stops and you get points for the ones you got across before and then if they "stampede" you don't get credit for any of the cows you got across... I would love it if someone more knowledgeable could share :) All I know is it was FUN!
WS Arabians, it's not a Billy Cook! It's a Dakota! And I'm in love with it! Such a great saddle for so little money!- I got it for $325 on Ebay :)

Sounds challenging and fun.

If I run a bunch of the wrong ones where they don't belong I either get chewed out by the boss and/or others on the crew, or just have to spend a whole bunch more time straightening my mess out. Even whatever horse I'm riding will get crabby at me. :oops:

Red Cedar Farm 12-31-2012 09:36 PM

PASTURE sorting! Yet another twist in the sorting world.....I MUST learn more!!!! *drools* Congrats to you and your beautiful boy on your win!

COWCHICK77 12-31-2012 09:57 PM

Good job! Congrats on the win! (And a perfectly white horse..lol)

Never heard of pasture sorting.
Is it the same as ranch sorting?

The ranch rodeos(womens) I have done the cattle at one end a chalk line, number of first steer called when the first team mate crossed the chalk line to sort, sorted three consecutive numbered cattle IN ORDER. No "trash", DQ. And no loping in the herd. Fastest time wins. Some of the rules vary by rodeo or assoc.