The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   Threats to shoot my horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/threats-shoot-my-horses-148320/)

Mariah 12-31-2012 11:54 AM

Threats to shoot my horses

Hi:

I live alone on a 1000 acre farm where I also board my two horses. The landlord (absentee) leases the hunting rights to a couple of hunters. The hunters don't want anyone else here and have repeatedly threatened to shoot my horses. They have not directly threatened me other than to say that if they see me out riding, I might "accidentally get shot." I have kept the horses in a small 3 acre enclosure with barn and have not ridden during hunting season. This was voluntary on my part. In the past few months, the paddock gates have been repeatedly left open, the fences cut, and the water shut off. To my knowledge, the horses have not been harmed, nor have they left their enclosure, but I am afraid that it is just a matter of time before one or the other happens.

Yesterday, I finally complained to the landlord, and his response was, "They are just horses. Get rid of them." He had no problem cashing my rent/boarding check. He also admitted that these same hunters had "accidentally" shot and killed a cow, but he passed it off as "just a cow."

The obvious thing is to move---and I've been looking, but it has not been easy to find a place for myself and my horses within my budget. I currently pay $710 a month for myself and $200 for the horses. I am paid up until February. The landlord doesn't want me to move, just the horses. He will not refund the boarding fee. I have nothing in writing.

I am doing all that I can to keep my horses safe for the time being, and have researched Equine and Animal Cruelty laws in my state (GA), but they only seem to cover what happens AFTER an animal has been killed/injured. Is anyone aware of any law/legal case that addresses threats against livestock? I'm not looking to take anyone to court. I just want to buy a little time until I can get my horses out of here.

wetrain17 12-31-2012 12:10 PM

What landlord doesnt put anything in writing? Even slumlords have SOMETHING in writting. I would forget the money and move the horses pronto.

BarrelracingArabian 12-31-2012 12:41 PM

I agree i would be moving them immediately. However if you can't then till then see if you can get some hunting cameras and padlocks and catch them cutting your fences or opening the gates etc. I'm sure it is illegal to damage personal property. Also get some bright orange either a sheet or tail bag anything that would make them easily visible.

Still forget about the money and think about their safety they can't help themselves.

Mariah 12-31-2012 02:12 PM

Thank you. Getting them out of here is priority #1 and I've already written off the money. I have bright blankets on them and will be moving them to my small backyard later today. Cameras are a good idea. Getting the horses to a more permamant/safe location may take a little longer. I'm just looking for any legal protection they might have.

Speed Racer 12-31-2012 02:16 PM

Mariah, I'm sorry you're in this predicament, but I really think you don't have any protection as the landlord has given permission for these bozos to be on the land, and he obviously doesn't care if they harm your animals.

You don't even have to put up real working cameras. They make dummy cameras that look and operate like the real things. They may be enough to scare off the morons.

Red Cedar Farm 12-31-2012 02:18 PM

Hidden cameras is a really good idea if you can't move them right away. This is just ridiculous, and your landlord is a jerk! >:( I'm so sorry you're going through this!
You should also file a report with the local PD, just to get on record what has been said to you by these guys, and also the damage that's been done to the locks and fences and such. If something happens, this will give the police more to go on than just what they will perceive as a hunch from you about who did it.

SouthernTrails 12-31-2012 02:28 PM

Laws about this really stink in GA, we had someone target shooting within 40 feet of a trail we had used on our property for years before these people moved in and the targets were on their property, they would wait till people rode near their property and they would suddenly start target shooting, the Police were called and they said that there was no law against target shooting.

They did stop shooting after that, but not because of what the Police said.

waresbear 12-31-2012 02:30 PM

It is hunting season there? Even on private land I am pretty sure there is regulations, check the laws and if you find any infractions, call a conservation officer. Around here, those guys are frothing at the mouth to bust someone to justify their jobs!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 12-31-2012 07:18 PM

My response to the smart-mouthed hunter would be that while some is aiming at one of my horses he'd better be certain I'm not looking at him thro a scope.

Joe4d 12-31-2012 07:52 PM

Thats communicating threats, go to the sheriffs dept take out a warrant then press charges. Aholes like that get away with it because people let them.