The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Reining (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/)
-   -   Big thing I HATE about NRHA. (http://www.horseforum.com/reining/big-thing-i-hate-about-nrha-148321/)

nrhareiner 12-31-2012 11:01 AM

Big thing I HATE about NRHA.

Well it is done. I really hate this part of the NRHA but Majors nomination form and fees are going in today. Nothing like waiting until the last day but thaught it was better in my account then theirs.

So anyone looking for a nice prospect he is for sale. Only reason I nominated him.

FGRanch 12-31-2012 01:23 PM

I did my colt today too.

Apparently nominations are way down this year as of two days ago, so hopefully it's something that the NRHA looks into and reconsiders. It would be bettter if the nominations were more reasonable (like NRBC's $200 before Sept 1st) then it would be a bit better, but $330 seems a bit outlandish

Ray MacDonald 12-31-2012 01:39 PM

What are nominations?

FGRanch 12-31-2012 01:49 PM

We pay a nomination on our foals in order for them to be shown in the NRHA futurity and derby as three year olds and up. If the horse wins the person who pays the nomination fee gets 5% of the winnings back. Anyways it's a newish program ( I think this is the 4th?? year going)

So basically, we pay them in order for them to allow us to show at their show, we also still have to pay entry fee's, which is up above $2000 now

nrhareiner 12-31-2012 02:22 PM

When I talked to them last month they said that the entries into the Futurity where higher this year then ever before. However I agree that as things keep going that will change. At the end of the day it is not worth it and it is bad for the horses. You just do not know at this point if the foals are going to make futurity horses. A lot of times they do not yet they will make derby horses. So now you feel like you need to push the horses to get them ready for the futurity so you can get what you paid for. That is just bad for the horse.

Plus it really only benifites the larger breeders and big trainers. I can do just as well locally between congress which I am not sure that is worth it eather. A lot of the affiliates have some really good pay outs for aged events with lower entires and so on. If I was going to keep this colt I would not have done it. Only paid him up to hopefully help selling him.

Ray MacDonald 01-01-2013 01:48 PM

Oh I see, sounds expensive. Personally, I wouldn't compete in futurities.

nrhareiner 01-01-2013 01:57 PM

That is the problem I have with having to pay them up by the end of the weanling year. Yearling year? Ya I can see that. But you do not know if they will be a futurity horse or not or if they will make a better Derby horse or both. However if you do not pay them up you are out for both. Which is the problem I have with the whole thing. However to make the foal marketable you really need to pay them up. If I was going to keep him I would not do it. At the end of the day I can do just as well around here with a 3-6yo aged event horse as there are a lot of shows around here. So I do not need to spend all that money to win quite a bit back. However when you sell them....

Ray MacDonald 01-01-2013 02:03 PM

Is the derby a futurity as well?

nrhareiner 01-01-2013 02:08 PM

The Futirity is for 3yo (end of their 3yo year) and the derby is for 4,5 and 6yo horses.

Ray MacDonald 01-01-2013 02:14 PM

Oh okay, so you still have to pay if you want to show in the derby?