The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Best suited for? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/best-suited-148345/)

disastercupcake 12-31-2012 02:25 PM

Best suited for?

2 Attachment(s)
I would like to get some opinions on what this horse would be well suited for based on conformation. He is a 5 yr old Paint/Belgian cross, is very responsive and is easy moving- not slow. Thanks! Sorry I don't have any pics of him moving

Freemare 01-03-2013 09:50 AM

He might make a good trail horse or barrel horse. But I dont see him doing any western pleasure. He could also make a good roper. It will also depend however how he moves and what he looks like when your in the saddle.

AnalisaParalyzer 01-03-2013 03:11 PM

he looks extremely suited to my pasture :) he looks like hes a load of fun.

sonnygrl 01-05-2013 09:53 AM

A motion pic would help alot. But he has a nice hunter look going. You say he is an easy mover so getting him to track up and extend his gaits should be a breeze. I think you would do very well and have loads of fun on him doing combined training (hunters/dressage) and his beautiful markings will just get you noticed that much more. I have a heavy built paint i do that with and he is very sucsessful.

smitty75 01-06-2013 01:14 AM

agree on the eventing, this guy looks amazing, i think he will hole up to whatever you choose to try(:

disastercupcake 01-25-2013 12:50 PM

Thanks!

I appreciate all your thoughts! I never thought of eventing, but we are having a lot of fun doing some dressage training now :)

LexusK 01-25-2013 01:35 PM

A friend of mine had a belgian x paint that was 18hh and made an excellent eventer. He is adorable btw :)

MISSMELODY 01-31-2013 02:41 PM

Trail horse, pleasure? Looks like he has a short back wich would give him a shorter stride, not ideal for hunter/ dressage. Cute little guy!
Posted via Mobile Device

disastercupcake 01-31-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MISSMELODY (Post 1871726)
Trail horse, pleasure? Looks like he has a short back wich would give him a shorter stride, not ideal for hunter/ dressage. Cute little guy!
Posted via Mobile Device

I know he doesn't have the longest back, and has a short neck as well (thank you, belgains) but he has a BIG trot, and a very long stride. It's comparable to my walker's stride. He can also pick his feet right up when he wants to lol

Kayty 02-05-2013 09:31 PM

Length of back does not equal a long stride.
I have seen many a long backed horse with a short, choppy stride, and many a compact horse with a very long, loose stride.