The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Born gray with a black hip. What color is he going to be? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/born-gray-black-hip-what-color-148363/)

Remiel 12-31-2012 04:54 PM

Born gray with a black hip. What color is he going to be?

My foal is out of a black and white Overo mare and Friesian stallion. He was born gray over his entire body (I know that blacks are frequently born gray) with his left hip being black. He is now 8 months old and looks like he will be all black except that I am now seeing white hairs in his flank. Will he be Rabicano? I have never seen a foal born this color before.

stevenson 12-31-2012 04:59 PM

Honestly, I dont know. He is really neat looking. I would be interested in seeing photos of him as he grows and see what color he turns. ;)

Poseidon 12-31-2012 05:51 PM

He looks like a black foal. We couldn't tell you anymore about the white hairs without an updated picture though.

Captain Evil 12-31-2012 06:12 PM

Have you any pics of him now, at 8 months?

Remiel 12-31-2012 07:44 PM

Here are a few pics of him. The first one is him at 3 months and you can see how he has faded in the sun with the dark spot still clearly visible. The next pictures are at 6 mos and it is getting harder to see the difference in color but the the black spot does not bleach out like the rest of him. Kind of hard to tell in pictures. This is when the white hairs started to appear in his flank, though they are few. When the winter coat came in there were a few more white hairs. We were thinking that he would be black on black but the the white hairs are throwing us.

Kayella 12-31-2012 08:35 PM

Possibly chimeric? Definitely interesting how the black spot does not fade/bleach as the rest of him. I wouldn't be worried about the white hairs right now, that's a pretty common occurence. With rabicano you would see a large concentration of white hairs in the flank/barrel area with a "skunk" tail.
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 12-31-2012 09:02 PM

Random white hairs are normal. I highly doubt he is either chimeric or rabicano, just black. It's like the "bloody shoulder". It's just a concentration of colour genes in one area.
Cute, though! :)

Muppetgirl 12-31-2012 09:03 PM

He is a lovely looking colt!:-)

Poseidon 01-01-2013 01:27 PM

I assume he is or will be gelded so it'd be pointless to know as he wouldn't be able to breed, but I'd be curious if he has frame based on the size of his star.

Peppy Barrel Racing 01-01-2013 01:40 PM

My friend has a Percheron quarter horse and paint cross that is all black but has large concentrations of black spots that don't color fade like your horse and when he was a foal he had similar dark markings like your colt. We joke that he's a black on black paint.
Posted via Mobile Device