The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Canceled Registration Papers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/canceled-registration-papers-148372/)

BornToRun 12-31-2012 06:01 PM

Canceled Registration Papers

I emailed the Standardbred Association the other and asked if I was able to gain access to Nelly's registration papers. The lady emailed me back today and told me that Nell's previous owner had canceled her reg papers because he didn't want her bred or raced and would not be able to give them to me, but she would send me any other information about her she could find. The previous owner sent her to slaughter, which I'm sure is why he canceled Nell's reg. I'd really like to get a hold of him and give him the surprise of his life by telling him Nell never even made it to the slaughter house. However I am grateful that this lady is trying to find any other info on her.

That just made me pretty upset, so I needed to blow the steam off ...

WSArabians 12-31-2012 06:16 PM

Well, you always get people that use horses for a buck. I've gotten a few from kill pens, and all have turned out to be fantastic. :)

Perhaps she could pass along his name and/or contact information and you could ask him about reinstating her papers if that's a cost you are willing to do?
At least she found a wonderful, loving home with you. That counts the most. :)

BornToRun 12-31-2012 06:25 PM

Yeah, rescue horses are my favourite to get, they're so interesting.

I have this guys name from the information about Nell on trackit. If getting his contact info is a can do, I will definitely be getting in touch with him. Reinstating the papers is something I am willing do, but if he's not, I can't guarantee he won't get an earful from me!

Haha, thank you!

Captain Evil 12-31-2012 06:32 PM

A friend of mine bought a beautiful Arabian mare by El Paso* out of a Bask* daughter. 20 or so of them were sent to the auction when the big Arabian crash happened. When he get her papers as he intended to breed her, he found that she, and all of the others, had been declared "dead". That way, the breeder could collect insurance money without actually killing the horses. Kind of shocking for me, but at least the horses weren't actually slaughtered.

WSArabians 12-31-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Evil (Post 1822657)
A friend of mine bought a beautiful Arabian mare by El Paso* out of a Bask* daughter. 20 or so of them were sent to the auction when the big Arabian crash happened. When he get her papers as he intended to breed her, he found that she, and all of the others, had been declared "dead". That way, the breeder could collect insurance money without actually killing the horses. Kind of shocking for me, but at least the horses weren't actually slaughtered.

:shock:
Do you know who the owner was? Did AHA ban him?
How I would LOVE an El Paso daughter.

WSArabians 12-31-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1822645)
Yeah, rescue horses are my favourite to get, they're so interesting.

I have this guys name from the information about Nell on trackit. If getting his contact info is a can do, I will definitely be getting in touch with him. Reinstating the papers is something I am willing do, but if he's not, I can't guarantee he won't get an earful from me!

Haha, thank you!

Just a bit of advice - even if he says no, just keep it civil. Let him know that all you need from him is a phone call or his signature on piece of paper (I would phone the registry so you have all the information he might need - the less work he has to do the more likely he might be willing) and if he does say no, tell him you would appreciate it if he could think about it for the sake of a girl and her horse.
Getting mad and yelling at people raises their defences in a hurry (regardless if they deserve it or not) and you can get pretty hooped when you run into that. :)

trailhorserider 12-31-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 1822645)
his contact info is a can do, I will definitely be getting in touch with him. Reinstating the papers is something I am willing do, but if he's not, I can't guarantee he won't get an earful from me!

I would be civil with him for the sake of any future horses he might be sending to auction. If he thinks he might be haunted by future owners he might actually make sure they DO go to slaughter. So in the best interest of the horses, I wouldn't make a big deal of it.

I would be more along the lines of "I am so happy to have found her, she is such a wonderful horse, I would LOVE to get her registration papers but the registry said I had to contact you." That way if he has any kindness left it his heart, he might do it because the horse found a home that appreciates her.

trailhorserider 12-31-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 1822661)
Just a bit of advice - even if he says no, just keep it civil. Let him know that all you need from him is a phone call or his signature on piece of paper (I would phone the registry so you have all the information he might need - the less work he has to do the more likely he might be willing) and if he does say no, tell him you would appreciate it if he could think about it for the sake of a girl and her horse.
Getting mad and yelling at people raises their defences in a hurry (regardless if they deserve it or not) and you can get pretty hooped when you run into that. :)

Great minds think alike, WSArabians! I was writing my response just as your were posting yours. :lol:

Darrin 12-31-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Evil (Post 1822657)

I would of turned him in for insurance fraud.

Captain Evil 12-31-2012 06:49 PM

Man, it was so long ago that I am not sure ... and I think it was more like 30 horses, all young, and all of similar breeding. Not all El Paso*, but all from Polish/racing lines. The young horses were from Florida and were sent to an auction in Massachusetts. A horse trader bought about 20 of them; those with "the straightest legs." They were then sold, and my friend bought her from that purchaser. We found her in a field with mattress springs and old plows and tractors, just floating across the uneven and dangerous terrain like it was a cloud. She was incredible. He had some sort of document; I think it was her actual certificate of registration, but when he went to change the owner name, I think it was, that is when he discovered that she was "dead."

When he decided to breed her, one of the really big name stud handlers (I am reluctant to name names in such a public forum) really liked her, and said he thought he could help straighten out the paper situation. But when he started poking around, he said that she had been declared dead for insurance purposes, and he didn't want to stir up any trouble.

So, my friend bread her to a quarter horse instead, and wound up with a beautiful sooty wild child of a horse... cute, but what a nut case!