The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   Starting out in AQHA... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/starting-out-aqha-148380/)

howrsegirl123 12-31-2012 07:31 PM

Starting out in AQHA...

How good enough do you really have to be to be in an AQHA show? I've got an 8 year old QH and I think with a little work he could do it. (I would be doing HUS.) I've been to and watched many AQHA shows and know that the HUS are usually big Appendix quarter horses that are totally consistent. But at the last show I went to there were two girls there that were obviously just starting out, as they really stood out from the rest; they had small, plain horses, didn't have all the bling...but I applaud them for getting out there and showing. Of course, they didn't place, but they gave me confidence that I could do it. My horse will never be a big time HUS horse, just because he's not as big and his strides aren't as long, but I still really want to try it with him. My goal is to show him in an AQHA show next winter. (Our university hosts three per winter.) I was just wondering what you guys thought...how good enough you think you and your horse need to be. Also, what would I need in terms of tack, clothes, fake tails...anything special?

TexasBlaze 12-31-2012 08:03 PM

Honestly i say get out there and try it! Take your horse and get him as smooth and constant as you can and then improve from there! Talk to coaches, handlers, owners, and see what advice they can give you! Nobody knows AQHA showing better than someone who does it a lot! Btw! If you do start showing AQHA i hope to be in the hunter under saddle shows soon! Breeding my HUS tb mare soon for a HUS baby!

howrsegirl123 12-31-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasBlaze (Post 1822784)
Honestly i say get out there and try it! Take your horse and get him as smooth and constant as you can and then improve from there! Talk to coaches, handlers, owners, and see what advice they can give you! Nobody knows AQHA showing better than someone who does it a lot! Btw! If you do start showing AQHA i hope to be in the hunter under saddle shows soon! Breeding my HUS tb mare soon for a HUS baby!

Cool, thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device

GoAppendix 12-31-2012 09:26 PM

Considering the type and frequency of topics you start on this forum, I would say that no, you currently aren't ready to show at that level. Could you be in the future? Yes. But it is going to take work and you absolutely need to start working with a trainer.

Have you done any schooling shows with this horse yet? I would start there before venturing into the AQHA pen. The horses are going to be very consistent and well prepped.

Even if you are just going for the experience, you have to trust that you'll be able to ride safely and not interrupt anyone's ride. You'd most likely be showing in a novice class, so safety is very important.

farmpony84 12-31-2012 09:40 PM

Check the show billets for Rookie classes. If they have them then those are great for a start. They are for horse and rider combos with less than 10 points. Also the all novice shows will many times have free clinics for competitors. My thought is, if you have the mony to spend (AQHA shows can be very expensive with one class costing 20 to 40 dollars depending on the amount of judges) and you understand that you may not place then get the experience. I usually place somewhere in the middle and occasionally place well in the eq classes but I very rarely win the class.... But I plan to. Someday.

My big dream was to show in AQHA and I'm loving every show weekend. Surprisingly there are more friendly people in these shows then snotty people.....

howrsegirl123 12-31-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoAppendix (Post 1822881)
Considering the type and frequency of topics you start on this forum, I would say that no, you currently aren't ready to show at that level. Could you be in the future? Yes. But it is going to take work and you absolutely need to start working with a trainer.

Have you done any schooling shows with this horse yet? I would start there before venturing into the AQHA pen. The horses are going to be very consistent and well prepped.

Even if you are just going for the experience, you have to trust that you'll be able to ride safely and not interrupt anyone's ride. You'd most likely be showing in a novice class, so safety is very important.

I've done 5 shows with him this summer. He's improved each time. My plan is to show in more local shows next summer, take regular lessons, and hopefully be ready by next winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

howrsegirl123 12-31-2012 10:04 PM

Another question...would I need to clip my horse? I know the majority of them are but I really wouldn't want to in the winter.
Posted via Mobile Device

howrsegirl123 12-31-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1822903)
Check the show billets for Rookie classes. If they have them then those are great for a start. They are for horse and rider combos with less than 10 points. Also the all novice shows will many times have free clinics for competitors. My thought is, if you have the mony to spend (AQHA shows can be very expensive with one class costing 20 to 40 dollars depending on the amount of judges) and you understand that you may not place then get the experience. I usually place somewhere in the middle and occasionally place well in the eq classes but I very rarely win the class.... But I plan to. Someday.

My big dream was to show in AQHA and I'm loving every show weekend. Surprisingly there are more friendly people in these shows then snotty people.....

I would love to be in a Rookie class, but our local AQHA shows don't offer them.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoAppendix 12-31-2012 10:08 PM

The majority are kept under lights so they never grow a winter coat.

A full body clip isn't required, but might be something to consider if lights aren't feasible for you.

farmpony84 12-31-2012 10:11 PM

I don't keep mine under lights and I don't like the way they look clipped so I usually miss the March show because he is too fuzzy....