The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Rearing bits? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rearing-bits-148384/)

Tayla101 12-31-2012 09:30 PM

Rearing bits?

My friend recently told me that she's buying a rearing bit for her standie mare who has started rearing I've seen this mare and although she is far from being bombproof at times she isn't a bad horse, she just isn't the sort of horse you can leave untouched for 3 weeks.

Anyway, my point is how does a bit prevent rearing? Is this bit just a gimmick?

Thank you

Rachel1786 12-31-2012 10:06 PM

I had never heard of it so I googled it and this was the first thing that came up
Rearing Bit

Tayla101 12-31-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1822849)
I had never heard of it so I googled it and this was the first thing that came up
Rearing Bit

Thank you. Can't believe my friend wants to do that to her horse. :cry:
Makes me so angry.

Muppetgirl 12-31-2012 10:20 PM

A rearing bit is a very very useful device. Just like any other bit, if in harsh hands it can do damage.

Don't get mad, and don't just believe the first answer you hear.....

I worked with racehorses for many years with TB racehorses, and we routinely used rearing bits on the horses as they tended to be flighty and rear etc etc.....it saved us a lot of horses getting away from handlers and getting hurt. I think if you've ever worked with horses of that kind, or with studs you'd appreciate the usefulness of a rearing bit.

My answer is from experience. When one of these bits is adjusted properly and used in conjunction with being snapped onto the halter it is very effective in getting a disrespectful or flighty horse back in hand. Most people who have issue with these bits don't snap the lead through the bit ring and the halter ring together......then you just have a jaw breaker.......idiots do that.

Thunderspark 01-01-2013 02:04 AM

I've seen horses that rear change their attitude with ground work, lunging for respect, sending exercises, backing exercises.....sometimes it's just a respect problem with them.....

Tayla101 01-01-2013 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1822868)
A rearing bit is a very very useful device. Just like any other bit, if in harsh hands it can do damage.

Don't get mad, and don't just believe the first answer you hear.....

I worked with racehorses for many years with TB racehorses, and we routinely used rearing bits on the horses as they tended to be flighty and rear etc etc.....it saved us a lot of horses getting away from handlers and getting hurt. I think if you've ever worked with horses of that kind, or with studs you'd appreciate the usefulness of a rearing bit.

My answer is from experience. When one of these bits is adjusted properly and used in conjunction with being snapped onto the halter it is very effective in getting a disrespectful or flighty horse back in hand. people who have issue with these bits don't snap the lead through the bit ring and the halter ring together......then you just have a jaw breaker.......idiots do that.

The problem is my friend leaves her horse untouched for 3 weeks and when she plays up she cries and uses the first piece of equipment she can find I'm big on not using things like that I'd rather work with my horse even if it's the longer way then take a short cut. I'm a lot more confident then her too so I see things differently to her. I no if an expirenced rider uses that bit it wouldn't be a problem but she isn't experienced.

Tayla101 01-01-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderspark (Post 1823103)
I've seen horses that rear change their attitude with ground work, lunging for respect, sending exercises, backing exercises.....sometimes it's just a respect problem with them.....

It is a respect problem, she can't handle her horse on the ground properly I don't get why she thinks her horse will be any better when she's riding if she can't lead her with out her horse playing up.

TheAQHAGirl 01-01-2013 03:05 AM

No bit can prevent rearing. IMO the harsher the bit the more likely a horse is to rear.

Bits do not train horses, people train horses.

For some reason people don't get that. I wouldn't use that on a horse if it were me, I would be looking for the symptoms of why the horse rears before I would do any of that stuff. Is your friend sure the horse isn't in pain, etc.?

Tayla101 01-01-2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAQHAGirl (Post 1823142)
No bit can prevent rearing. IMO the harsher the bit the more likely a horse is to rear.

Bits do not train horses, people train horses.

For some reason people don't get that. I wouldn't use that on a horse if it were me, I would be looking for the symptoms of why the horse rears before I would do any of that stuff. Is your friend sure the horse isn't in pain, etc.?

She's had her back checked and gear fitted and was all good, I think it's the fact her horse was testing her abit after she was left out for 3 weeks and when her horse has played up my friend started crying and refuses to get on her, I guess her horse thinks she's more powerful and then my friend and I guess it sort of disappointing I'd love to work with that horse for a bit of a
project. But I can't :/ I feel bad saying this but it's not the only horse she's let boss her around she's then sold them on to competent riders and there all doing fantastic.

Muppetgirl 01-01-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1823655)
like I said that was just the first thing that came up with I googled rearing bit. Either way, it sounds like this girl wants this bit to ride her mare in and everything I've read(which isn't very much honestly) says this bit is for leading not riding. It also sounds like this girl doesn't know enough about what she is doing to even use this bit for leading. I'm sure it's not a horrible thing to use if you know how to use it, but I'm guessing most people do not.

Yeah not a bit for riding! That's a stupid thing to do!