The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   here is one for the color gurus.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/here-one-color-gurus-148393/)

stevenson 01-01-2013 12:26 AM

here is one for the color gurus..

1 Attachment(s)
Percheron x Appy x Quarter. color at 4 months was a dark chocolote color lighter muzzle and flanks . Color at age 1 black ..no fading in summer. Color now.. are the close up, head and neck black, sides and butt and back have the white hairs.:lol: and he just rolled so he is dirty thats the brown..

Cat 01-01-2013 12:33 AM

Easy - gray.

Nokotaheaven 01-01-2013 12:45 AM

Those look more like Appy spots. Appy markings sometimes take a while to show up

Chiilaa 01-01-2013 01:01 AM

Have you got a shot of the whole horse? What colour are the parents? Photos of them would possibly be helpful too. Also, photo of foal coat is usually relevant too :-)

Cat 01-01-2013 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 1823043)
Those look more like Appy spots. Appy markings sometimes take a while to show up

Husband's horse had the same spots and now he is all gray.

Nokotaheaven 01-01-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 1823062)
Husband's horse had the same spots and now he is all gray.

Ah ok, well still cant rule out appy just yet

stevenson 01-01-2013 01:21 AM

no parent photos .. he was a pmu baby came out of Canada. he is Percheron cross with Appy cross with Quarter. He was chocolote color as a baby .. black with no fading up until this summer. he 'spotted' out. He was foaled in 2001. I was told by some Percheron people, that they will do this , some stay the 'roanie' looking and some go gray. With all this talk about agouti etc .. just curious

stevenson 01-01-2013 01:24 AM

oh, there is a pic of him as a five yr old on my home page in the horse photos

Cat 01-01-2013 01:06 PM

2001? The way you were talking his ages above I thought he was a much younger horse. That is a bit old to be greying out. Could a sabino type roaming be at work?

And Nakotaheaven - I know you can't rule out appy yet since it does some funky stuff to the coat but I just wanted to point out those type of spots aren't just an appy trait and can be a trait of a greying horse as well. That was all.

Faceman 01-01-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 1823488)

And Nakotaheaven - I know you can't rule out appy yet since it does some funky stuff to the coat but I just wanted to point out those type of spots aren't just an appy trait and can be a trait of a greying horse as well. That was all.

The darker areas on the hip and shoulder points generally point more to Appy varnish roaning than just plain grey, but as Chiiilaa said, it is hard to tell without full body pictures...