The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   My horse Zig-Zags (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/my-horse-zig-zags-148396/)

grullagirl 01-01-2013 01:17 AM

My horse Zig-Zags

My 17 yr. old gelding will zig-zag when i rode him alone.....down the road or heading through the pasture to get to the trails. He wont go straight... i am constantly redirecting him. He wont do this if im riding with another person? He likes to follow other horses....will lead straight also? Not sure why he does this or how to get him to just go straight? please help!!!!

Casey02 01-01-2013 01:24 AM

He probably doesn't want to go out alone, I had a mare that would do that but keep on top of him and it should go away for the most part. Keep redirecting him

tinyliny 01-01-2013 01:27 AM

move him along faster. If he's zigging aorund, he doesn't have enough to do. Give him more to do, and make him move more. He'll probably straighten out a lot.

Thunderspark 01-01-2013 02:43 AM

My mare who is coming 11 does that sometimes when she doesn't want to go out alone but can walk a straight line going home LOL
My gelding who is coming 10 is also the same......
My suggestion is for you to make him zig zag at a trot, do circles, figure eights, serpentines....keeps his mind busy that he isn't worried about wanting to go back......

grullagirl 01-01-2013 02:50 AM

My friend that i ride with most of the time is riding a young horse......he has alot of energy and marches along nicely. It is a struggle to keep up because "tanner" my gelding......pokes along. Every ride i try to get tanner to get up to the same pace....usually trot......lag behind....trot....lag...and so on. I admit tanner needs a workout (pretty fat).....i am working on that but he is also 17 yrs. old and doesnt really get excited about anything. My friends horse is always looking for something to spook at and is just full of energy. I love how mellow Tanner is....just want to get that nice march out of him. He has a great lil jog :)

Thunderspark 01-02-2013 12:50 AM

My mare used to always power walk when she was younger, I was always way ahead of everyone.....now she pokes along behind LOL
I just have to keep encouraging her to move forward a little faster sometimes but I'd rather have a calm relaxed horse now compared to how she was when she was 3-6yrs., always in a hurry and having to stop to wait up for others to catch up to us.....

grullagirl 01-02-2013 10:24 AM

Thanks for the tips....i am going to start flexing him some before each ride and maybe that will help some as far as redirecting him all the time? maybe it will be easier?

CLaPorte432 01-02-2013 10:59 AM

893 Attachment(s)
I have a gelding that does this too. He doesnt pay attention so i make him move, whether its walking faster (he tends to lolly-gag) or trotting.
Posted via Mobile Device

gunslinger 01-02-2013 06:35 PM

You're not in Colorado, Washington state or California are you? I think Zig-Zags are legal there now.....just saying....:lol:

Makoda 01-02-2013 06:37 PM

He is zig zagging because he wants to turn around and go home. Squeezing him up a little and making him walk out will get him going straight for you. I bet he doesn't zig zag if you let him turn around and go back. :)