The Horse Forum banner

Logging 2013 Miles - How far did you go?

143K views 2K replies 66 participants last post by  Zexious 
#1 ·
Happy New Year and wishing Happy Trails, Healthy Horses and Riders for 2013. If you are new to the forum or to logging miles - join right in and tell us how many miles you and your trail buddy rode. Some of us are using Garmins/GPS's and some are using the GPS on their phones. We'd love to see pictures of where you have rode and hear your stories!!!

#5 ·
I had been hoping to get out today for a quick jaunt around the property, but the gale force wind and snow quickly made me rethink that idea!!

Maybe tomorrow, if I get the errands I need done before dark (but 2 of them involve government offices.. so being done before dark is questionable!!). :think:

#7 ·
I have been reading last years thread and I think I might join this one to help encourage me to go out more.

I can't get to actual trails due to lack of transport but I do ride along the roads and I plan to go out for the first time this year today. Hopefully I'll have some pictures etc later today.

#8 ·
Doesn't matter where you ride - join right in!

I just redid some riding logs for some folks so if you would like a excell log to track miles send me your email address in a PM. I have one for two horses with date, distance, speed and location of ride and one for one horse that is just date, distance.

#9 ·
Ok I nearly died in the heat today but it was still fun. I would say we trotted about a third of the ride and walked the rest, still building fitness :D but we got 3.85 miles yay.

Sammy pre-ride ready to go
Horse Horse supplies Stallion Mare Pack animal

First scarey part of the ride. The narrow part ahead in the photo with a ditch on either side and I have to cross the road just further up.
Horse Property Grass Trail riding Horse tack

The second scarey part, I got sammy to cross for the second time today without me having to get off due to cars.
Horse Trail riding Grass Pasture Trail

A side road I decided to inspect cause we haven't been down there. Didn't make it to the end though.
Dirt road Road Trail Wildlife Infrastructure

Sammy enjoying some grass before we headed back.
Horse Pasture Working animal Grazing Grass

Can't wait to see stuff from everyone else.

#10 ·
Rain all day yesterday so I'm still at zero.

DW doesn't like cold weather.....next weekend we expect a high around 40....I keep telling her that's spring time weather for Canadians but she's not buying it.....

#13 ·
Hello Everyone and a Happy New Year!

Today was going to be the day I started logging 2013 miles, but instead I am sick with the flu. Bummer, but at least today I can stand up for a few minutes. I hope to be well enough to go back to work Friday, and maybe be able to ride next week.

Thank you Dawn for the new log, I plan to try it out as soon as my brain gets less mushy...

#18 ·
Ok I went for another ride today although it was only short. It was meant to be a test ride, apache's first ride out alone since he has come back home.

It started off with him trying to turn back for ages, then I nearly fell off when he spooked. It was going quite good for awhile until we got within a couple hundred metres of home where he decided he just had to get back to sammy. Due to being so worried about sammy he kept tripping in the long grass which kept ripping the reins out of my hands with force. This lead to him taking off and tripping again which made me fall off. I was quite ****** because he took running off home beside the road.

I didn't get back on after I caught him because I was really angry and didn't want to take it out on him. So my ride ended rather badly and I have been encouraging myself to do this since he got back :-x

Anyway I rode 1.86 miles on Apache today.

Sammy: 3.85m
Apache:1.86m

Now a picture before our ride. (I didn't realise until after the picture that the saddle had slid back for some reason.)
Horse Mammal Vertebrate Halter Rein

#22 ·
After spending hours updating my resume this morning, I needed a mental reset. Not sure that Dream enjoyed the leisurely ride through the snow in the same way I did, but it was wonderful! Temp was still a chilly 23, but no wind and the sun was shining, so it felt great.

2013 mileage
Jan 3 - 1.95 miles

#23 ·
Took Sammy for a nice lazy ride with lots and lots of walking.
Today we rode 4.47 miles

Total
Sammy: 8.32miles
Apache: 1.86miles

A road I chickened out completing because there was a cemetary and the creep me out lol.
Trail Tree Road Nature reserve State park

Sammy eating beside the military rifle range.
Mammal Vertebrate Horse Stallion Mare

The trail I love beside the rifle range but its really rough further down so I only like to do it with company.
Natural landscape Tree Land lot Natural environment Property

#28 ·
Haha I know I'm a wimp when it comes to cemetarys and I think it makes it worse that it was in the middle of no where kind of. I always find there eery and I have seen to many scary movies recently lol. Sammy was also having trouble with the road because it was really rocky with nowhere to walk on the side. I'm just lucky Sammy doesn't mind going down the highway before I get to these places.

I would love riding partners I'm always on my own.

#29 ·
LOL stop watching those scary movies!!!! Since I am a genealogist I love going to cemeteries. An old one was was uncovered in the Kisatachie area of Louisiana and a man we rode with last year is who discovered it. It was totally grown over. LOL hoping to ride there this spring.

My 2nd trail ride was past a huge cemetery....good thing they don't scare me - riding at that time was scary enough!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.